Subject: (urth) eclipse

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:42:36 +0000

I have had the suspicion that some cosmic body was being switched around at the eclipse -that aphetas planet was actualy switched with the moon, producing the increasingly fierce tides and making the moon seem bigger.  There is a scene when severian is simming and looks up to feel watched from the moon.  Unfortunately I really need to read urth again.

---

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:02:33 +0000

of course the problem with this switching is the vast disparity in time between apu punchau and the new sun

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:46:39 +0000

Marc Aramini wrote:

>>>I have had the suspicion that some cosmic body was being switched around
at the eclipse -that aphetas planet was actualy switched with the moon,
producing the increasingly fierce tides and making the moon seem bigger.
There is a scene when severian is simming and looks up to feel watched from
the moon.  Unfortunately I really need to read urth again.<<<

>>>of course the problem with this switching is the vast disparity in time
between apu punchau and the new sun<<<

The bigger problem is that "aphetas planet", as you put it, is in a
completely different universe from Lune.

-Roy

---

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:55:54 +0000

I don&#39;t think that the different universe issue is necessarily a problem if ossipago famulimus and barbatus  ( from the top of my head I know I murdered those names) sev and the green man and even tzadkiel and the ship can move between their places and the urth

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:03:52 +0000

> completely different universe from Lune.

She does use of a sort of dimensional portal to deposit Severian back on 
the Ship, already back in Briah, and is visible to him for a while 
after. (URTH, late Ch 22 - early Ch 23)  He records seeing her in place 
of the moon while he scrounges among the wreckage of the flood in way 
similar to that earlier appearance. (can't get Amazon's "look inside" to 
let me check the chapter, but it's p. 340 out of 386 in the edition they 
offer just now)

In the earlier sequence, Severian is unable to avoid entering the portal 
and speculates it could be gravity or escaping air that forces him. If 
it's gravity, then it's possible that the Yesodis can pipe in their 
gravity as needed; if it's "just" air, they still may be able to bodily 
portal in planets to provide gravity, though I doubt they'd remove their 
own planet from Yesod.

-- 
Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >