Subject: (urth) Re; Sev's common lineage

From: Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:22:31 +0000

b sharp wrote:

> Yes,  having a man in his 80's father someone in their 20's-30's is
> possible but a stretch. I was
> only hinting that my ideas might help:  if Fechin is Dorcas' husband
> instead of father and the
> portrait of Rudesind is a self-portrait, then it rolls everyone's age back
> about 15 years and the
> ages fit nicely. That might mess up other aspects of your scenario though,
> not sure.

Rudesind said "An artist--a real one--came by where we lived. My mother,
being so proud of me, showed him some of the things I'd done. It was
Fechin." How do you parse this last sentence? Maybe "It [the work I'd done]
was [in the style I chose to call] Fechin."? It seems quite forced.

I can't see the old husband switching back and forth between obsessively
looking for Dorcas and being a chatty museum attendent. It diminishes him as
a tragic figure.

 Rudesind seems to have the role of directing Sev and getting him back on
track when he's lost. He lets slip that Father Inire told him to say certain
things, which I take to be repeats of conversations in previous iterations.
Say other changes in the timeline have caused Sev's visit to the library to
slip by a day. WIthout help, he will wander around for hours and return
empty-handed. Father Inire directs Rudesind to show up at the right time and
give Sev a hand, also instructing him to have the same sort of conversation
as happened the first time around. Another time he says "There's always an
explanation" for why he is where he is (but the actual explanation is that
he's there to direct Sev).

Is Dorcas' husband the same sort of actor? Is his grief a performance
designed to push Sev along? I hope not.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080701/013710b0/attachment.htm>