Subject: (urth) Cartography

From: David Paul <janus at ioa.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 21:45:56 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

For some time, I've been listening to the bickering about where Nessus
actually is.  The argument hinges on the fact that South America doesn't
have any areas with mountains to the northeast and rivers running
southwest.  This is untrue.  When most people think of South America,
they think of Brazil, but the stone twon of Apu-Punchau makes it fairly
clear that we're dealing with Inca territory -- probably Chile and
Argentina.  This makes Nessus out to be Buenos Aires, which fits in
nicely with the Ulthan/Borges comparison -- Borges was chief librarian
of some library or another in BA.

-- 
David Paul             janus at ioa.com
------------------------------------
The pure at heart may sleep better,
but sinners enjoy their waking hours
much more.

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/