Subject: (urth) Lexicon Urthus interview

From: Nigel Price <nigelaprice at talktalk.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:35:18 +0000

The latest addition to Ultan's Library (www.ultan.org.uk) is an interview
with Michael Andre-Driussi about the new edition of the "Lexicon Urthus". In
the interview, Michael discusses how he first came to write the Lexicon and
how the new revised edition came about. He explains how Gene Wolfe came to
write the Foreword and how the late John Brunner briefly became involved in
the project. In passing, he also casts some interesting light on the
evolution of the "Suzanne Delage" debate.

I was fascinated to learn more about the Lexicon and hope that you too will
enjoy the interview.

As a footnote, I ought to mention that Michael was keen to make the context
of the interview clear and to show that he and I had actually met previously
to discuss Wolfe-related matters. He encouraged me to find a novel way of
revealing this to the reader and, if you read through to the bottom of the
web page, I think you'll find that I failed completely!

Nigel

---

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:45:37 +0000

At 11:35 25/09/2008, you wrote:
>In passing, he also casts some interesting light on the evolution of 
>the "Suzanne Delage" debate.

He'll be pleased, I hope, to hear that the wiki has now been updated 
to include the appropriate credits for this.

best,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki now at:
http://www.wolfewiki.com/pmwiki/

---

From: Nigel Price <nigelaprice at talktalk.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:50:44 +0000

Mo, thanks for updating the WolfeWiki page on "Suzanne Delage". Wow, that
was prompt!

I've added a note to the text of the interview pointing out that the Wiki
article has now been updated to include appropriate acknowledgements.

Nigel

---

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:31:25 +0000

At 16:50 25/09/2008, you wrote:
>Mo, thanks for updating the WolfeWiki page on "Suzanne Delage". Wow, 
>that was prompt!
>
>I've added a note to the text of the interview pointing out that the 
>Wiki article has now been updated to include appropriate acknowledgements.
>
>Nigel

Great, thank you Nigel!

best wishes,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki now at:

---

From: Pedro Pereira <domus_artemis at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:38:42 +0000

Did I get it wrong or did Andre said in the interview that he already wrote a book for the Long Sun series with material from the chap books and that he has no publishing date yet? I would love a Lexicon Long/Short...
 
Pedro
_________________________________________________________________
News, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Get it now!
http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080925/b57c5cf2/attachment.htm>

---

From: Nigel Price <nigelaprice at talktalk.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:34:44 +0000

Pedro Pereira asked:

>>Did I get it wrong or did Andre said in the interview
>>that he already wrote a book for the Long Sun series
>>with material from the chap books and that he has no
>>publishing date yet? I would love a Lexicon Long/Short...

Yes, Michael did say that he had the nucleus of a book about "The Book of
the Long Sun" and "The Book of the Short Sun" that he referred to as having
the working title "Gate of Horn, Book of Silk". As you say, the contents so
far assembled are based around the materials he wrote for the Long Sun
chapbooks.

If anyone has any questions about the interview, there is a comment facility
on Ultan's Library that allows you to post your responses. If there are
queries, we might well be able to get Michael back to answer some of them.

Nigel

---

From: Pedro Pereira <domus_artemis at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:39:34 +0000

Thank you for your kind reply. 
It's great to know that it's coming, I was really wishing for such a book.

Pedro> From: nigelaprice at talktalk.net> To: urth at lists.urth.net> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:34:44 +0100> Subject: (urth) Lexicon Urthus interview> > Pedro Pereira asked:> > >>Did I get it wrong or did Andre said in the interview> >>that he already wrote a book for the Long Sun series> >>with material from the chap books and that he has no> >>publishing date yet? I would love a Lexicon Long/Short...> > Yes, Michael did say that he had the nucleus of a book about "The Book of> the Long Sun" and "The Book of the Short Sun" that he referred to as having> the working title "Gate of Horn, Book of Silk". As you say, the contents so> far assembled are based around the materials he wrote for the Long Sun> chapbooks.> > If anyone has any questions about the interview, there is a comment facility> on Ultan's Library that allows you to post your responses. If there are> queries, we might well be able to get Michael back to answer some of them.> > Nigel> > _______________________________________________> Urth Mailing List> To post, write urth at urth.net> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
_________________________________________________________________
Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger?
http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=wlmailtagline
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080925/ec72da3a/attachment.htm>

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 08:53:04 +0000

> with Michael Andre-Driussi about the new edition of the "Lexicon Urthus". In

This article is not linked or mentioned at the URL given. It looks as 
though the article listing has not been updated to include it, though I 
was able to locate it by digging.

-- 
Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 09:14:45 +0000

> was able to locate it by digging.

I'm afraid that the second Suzanne Delage link has a bogus URL that 
leads to wolfe wiki admin login instead of an article. This might not be 
apparent when using the same computer the admin uses.

---

From: Nigel Price <nigelaprice at talktalk.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:19:32 +0000

Thanks for the debugging feedback, Jeff.

The URL for Ultan's Library is http://www.ultan.org.uk/ , which should get
you to the home page. The interview with Michael Andre-Driussi is in the
Book Reviews section. The direct link for the interview is
http://www.ultan.org.uk/tell-me-about-the-lexicon-urthus-an-interview-with-m
ichael-andre-driussi/ .

My apologies for the inappropriate link in the second WolfeWiki Suzanne
Delage URL. I've fixed it now, but do shout if there's anything else I've
missed!

Cheers,

Nigel

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:56:14 +0000

> Delage URL. I've fixed it now, but do shout if there's anything else I've

Is there a place where new additions are listed, regardless of section 
or category?

---

From: Nigel Price <nigelaprice at talktalk.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:40:19 +0000

Jeff Wilson asked about Ultan's Library: "Is there a place where new
additions are listed, regardless of section
or category?"

That's one for Jonathan to answer rather than me, because he's the website
wizard on the Ultan's team. Funnily enough, though, I was thinking about the
same thing, Jeff. I have just such a section on another site I run which
logs new entries as they come in, so you can see when the site was last
updated and what was added. I'll ask Jonathan if we can do something similar
with Ultan's Library.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's a good idea.

Nigel