Subject: (urth) Borges and Dodgson

From: Dan Parmenter <dan at lec.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:18:30 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Just for the record, Borges didn't just work "at some library in
Argentina" as one writer suggested.  He worked at a city library from
1937 to 1946, when the Peron regime made him a chicken inspector (no
lie!).  Post-Peron, he was made Director of the National Library in
Buenos Aires.

So the fit with Master Ultan seems a good one and one that almost
anyone with the slightest familiarity with Borges' life would
recognize immediately.

Just out of curiosity, has Wolfe admitted to the Father Inire as Lewis
carroll thing?  I can certianly see it, though it seems more vague
than the Ultan case.

D

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Pedro Jorge Romero <bempjr at redkbs.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 21:13:34 +0000

> anyone with the slightest familiarity with Borges' life would

Well, Master Ultan even sort of quotes Borges.

Pedro Jorge