Subject: (urth) RttW discrepancy?

From: Matthew Groves <matthewalangroves at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 18:06:50 +0000

arrival in the Whorl in In Green's Jungles, and that by Hoof, Daisy, Hide,
and Vadsig at the beginning of Return to the Whorl. In HornSilk's version,
as he leaves the house, "It was a little after midday then, as well as I
could judge from the narrowing line of the Long Sun." (*IGJ* 127) In Hoof et
al., "He backed away from the knife and stumbled through the open door into
the darkest night ever known." (*RttW* 13-14)  Is this merely a compression
of events by Hoof et al.

Matt
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20081025/02c5ddc1/attachment.htm>

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 05:35:22 +0000

Matthew Groves wrote:
> There is a possible discrepancy between HornSilk's description of his

The "darkest night ever known" had nothing to do with the Long Sun. It was
the dark night of Silk's soul.

-Roy

---

From: Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:22:26 +0000

> the dark night of Silk's soul.
That's plausible, but Silk does run into a genuine Long-Sun blackout in 
the next section of their narrative, so Matthew's narrative compression 
idea may be right. It could also be that Silk forget about the lighted 
interlude when he told Hoof, Hide, and Daisy about this later.

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 06:06:10 +0000

> interlude when he told Hoof, Hide, and Daisy about this later.

The "darkest night ever known" bit is a metaphor. Two page inches above the
quote mentions "the hot sunshine streaming through the open door into the
poor little room." It was by that light that he saw the knife that he
recoiled and backed away from and "stumbled through the open door into the
darkest night ever known."

-Roy

---

From: Mr Thalassocrat <thalassocrat08 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:03:57 +0000

> darkest night ever known."
But if you looked only to RTTW surely you'd assume that the sun went out
just as he was leaving the manse.  Bright sunlight when he found himself in
Silk, switching to dark as he left, groping blindly amongst trees in the
next scene. Taking into account the IGJ passage, I like the compression
explanation best. But maybe it's not that important.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20081028/efbfc2ad/attachment.htm>