Subject: (urth) Miles?

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.geis.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 23:32:00 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Reply:  Item #2628447 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET00#

FunkMonkey,

Welcome.  Well, now we know where you stand on the Jonas issue.  But
how do you interpret and/or resolve the Miles issue?

Is . . .

(1) Miles a random mule ridden by Jonas (i.e., the Claw resurrected
the dead soldier and added a second soul/spirit directly from Beyond
at the same instant);

(2) Miles the repaired biological prosthetic derived from the Urthman
(presumed sleeping?) on the grounds of House Absolute crushed by the
crashlanding of the starship who now has a larger role (some
different non-sailor personality) in the one-body partnership (i.e.,
the Claw =only= resurrected the repaired being who had somehow returned
from Beyond and was traipsing around with the Army looking for, and
writing undeliverable letters to, Jolenta).

(3) Miles something else entirely.

(On the nexus of body/spirit, comings and goings re: Yesod [Jonas,
Miles, the Cat], I remind myself and anybody else about the group
ceremony with the Cumaean.  Severian's astral body left his physical body,
looking down on it; and what he saw of the others, their astral bodies
[especially the Cumaean's sleek reptilian body with many eyes; and in
another place alltogether, the Old Autarch's taurian form . . . ].)

(And how to interpret the whole "Zama as zombified by Ceryx contrasted
with Zama as resurrected by the Conciliator" deal?)

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/