Subject: (urth) [AEG] Gideon Chase's identity

From: Blake Hyde <syrion at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:25:01 +0000

Sorry if this is a common theory; I wasn't able to find anything like
this in the archives.  It seems to me that Gideon Chase is likely to
be a hybrid of a Wolder and perhaps the elder Chase's wife.  Wolfe
mentions several times that Wolders can hybridize with "lower forms,"
and it would explain his eyes.  Near the end of the novel, Klauser
tells Cassie that Wolders look just like humans until you look
closely.

Hmm.

---

From: David Duffy <david.duffy at qimr.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:40:55 +0000

> tells Cassie that Wolders look just like humans until you look
It is only male Wolders who can alter their DNA.

Was just thinking the same thing, but haven't been through the backlog of 
entries yet.  He also seems to be quite familiar with the bat-people, who 
are also possibly Wolder-animal hybrids.

David Duffy.

-- 
| David Duffy (MBBS PhD)                                         ,-_|\
| email: davidD at qimr.edu.au  ph: INT+61+7+3362-0217 fax: -0101  /     *
| Epidemiology Unit, Queensland Institute of Medical Research   \_,-._/
| 300 Herston Rd, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia  GPG 4D0B994A v

---

From: Blake Hyde <syrion at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:53:34 +0000

> It is only male Wolders who can alter their DNA.

Yes, this is why I think Chase's "father" was being cuckolded.  This
would also explain why Klauser tells Cassie that the Wolders sometimes
try to seduce human women.

> are also possibly Wolder-animal hybrids.

I think the bat-people are something else entirely, one of the shyer
races who live "like mice in [the Storm King's] barn."

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:54:01 +0000

> tells Cassie that Wolders look just like humans until you look

I brought that stuff up four days ago, but no one followed up on it. Maybe
it got lost in the shuffle. <g> It happens all the time that someone sees
something that someone else has seen. Don't worry about it.

http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/2008-December/011347.html

-Roy

---

From: Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:33:24 +0000

> something that someone else has seen. Don't worry about it.
I brought it up a couple of months ago, along with some additional 
twists. Here is my reference:
http://lists.urth.net/htdig.cgi/urth-urth.net/2008-October/010311.html

In brief, my theory is that:
1) Gid's biological father is a Woldercan native.
2) His father is a "walker of dreams" (wizard) who inspired Lovecraft's 
tales of Randolph Carter.
3) Working from arcane knowledge he possessed, Robert Chase worked with 
Chuck Finney to get Woldercan discovered. Finney is a descendant of the 
man who wrote "The Circus of Dr. Lao" and may have had some secret notes 
from the time his forefather met that alien being.
4) Robert Chase probably had his wife impregnated by a Woldercan 
deliberately, in order to produce a powerful child.
5) Robert Chase trained his son in Earth arcana.