Subject: (urth) AEG: Cassie in love

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 18:17:38 +0000

Hi all,

This has been playing on my mind for some time now, and I haven't 
seen anyone else post about it yet, so:

Does Cassie genuinely love Reis / Rosenquist? We assume she's in a 
love triangle with him and Chase, but it seems to me at least equally 
possible that she's true to Chase all along and is only ever feigning 
being in love with Reis.

Cassie says that she loves him, and demonstrates it sufficiently well 
to convince him and others. But we know that she is both a talented 
actress and also a habitual and fluent liar.

Her last words on the hopper, when no-one is listening, might be 
testimony to a genuine love. But as she utters them while on her way 
to join Chase, that would seem to undercut any real sincerity implied.

Thoughts?

best wishes,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki now at:
http://www.wolfewiki.com/pmwiki/

---

From: Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 22:48:57 +0000

> to join Chase, that would seem to undercut any real sincerity implied.
As you say, she has no audience here. I have to believe the love is real.
Even if she does ultimately end up with Chase, it doesn't undercut the
sincerity of her feelings. Bill is dead, after all.

But I wonder if she isn't going to Chase for some other reason. There are
three things he might do for her:
1) Help get her glamour back. She says that's one of the reasons she is
going.
2) Help her travel in time, or get a message back in time, to save Bill's
life.
3) Die, if she suspects Chase of having some hand in Bill's death.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20081224/a5ca5f94/attachment.htm>

---

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 09:36:58 +0000

At 22:48 24/12/2008, Dave Tallman wrote:
>But I wonder if she isn't going to Chase for some other reason. 
>There are three things he might do for her:
>1) Help get her glamour back. She says that's one of the reasons she is going.
>2) Help her travel in time, or get a message back in time, to save 
>Bill's life.

It's interesting that her motivation for travelling is left so very 
open. (By necessity, since we couldn't tust what she might say about 
it, but even so.)

In the Woldercan-as-Fairyland model, I guess the journey is her 
reward for coming through the trials of the story, and she can expect 
unchanging bliss rather than any kind of further sharp resolution 
such as killing Chase -- that sort of thing doesn't happen within Fairyland.

best wishes,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki now at:

---

From: Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 14:04:19 +0000

> such as killing Chase -- that sort of thing doesn't happen within Fairyland.

This is not the Fairyland of "happily ever after," but a land of 
dangerous adventures. Cassie is advised to go armed and not to talk to 
the fish. Wolfe's Fair Folk are never all that nice, whether in 
Castleview,  the Wizard Knight, "No Planets Strike," "The Magic Animal," 
or AEG.

---

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 23:42:07 +0000

Indeed. Fairyland is the land of death, more or less.

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 07:04:19 -0700
From: Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) AEG: Cassie in love
To: urth at lists.urth.net
Message-ID: <495E1EE3.5010304 at gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

------------------------------

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 090102-0, 01/02/2009
Tested on: 1/2/2009 6:42:09 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2009 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

---

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 10:17:36 +0000

>Indeed. Fairyland is the land of death, more or less.

But not a land where one can conduct personal vendettas -- that's the 
point I was trying (rather unclearly) to make. When she arrives there 
Cassie will have to accept things as they are, not hope to try and 
influence them.

best,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki now at:

---

From: Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:38:35 +0000

> Cassie will have to accept things as they are, not hope to try and 
Mortals can kill other mortals in Fairyland; Hwan Lee shot Jose Balanco 
in "Castleview." Mortals can also kill monsters there; Able killed 
Grengarm in "The Knight."

On the other hand, I don't really believe the vendetta theory. My 
assessment is that Gideon Chase isn't on the side of Chtulhu. The winged 
Death's Visitors seem to be his allies (one appears to assist in 
Cassie's transformation on p. 43: "Behind him: great, dark wings.") The 
creatures warn Cassie about the Squid God and save her life. They tell 
her "Trust those who love you... Only them" (p. 235). That seems to mean 
to trust only them, along with Bill Reis and Gideon Chase.

Reis seems to have brought his troubles on himself. Chase didn't make 
him set the Navy on the Storm King. His only responsibility is that Reis 
wouldn't have loved Cassie (and wanted to attack those who endangered 
her) without Chase's help. Cassie surely cannot want revenge for that.