Subject: (urth) Short Stories

From: Alex Outhred <aouthred at mail.usyd.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 08:40:24 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Hello everyone!

It is marvellous to be able to discuss my favourite author.  For two
years now, I have been looking for places to discuss Wolfe.  Like others
on this list, I have had great difficulty convincing my friends that
Wolfe is good, let alone great (although even my mother had to concede
his talent after I made her read "Death of the Island Doctor" {Storeys
...}.  This short story seemed to be the best for introducing a reader
of non-SF literature to Wolfe).

Monsieur Driussi - I have flipped through your magnificent book, and
would love to own a copy.  However, it costs $80 here in Australia (cf.
$35 for your average hardcover).

I have been a silent subscriber to Whorl and Urth for some time, but
have been kept too busy in the real world for active participation.

Now, I have two questions regarding some Wolfe short stories.

First - I would like to hear an interpretation of the ending of
"Tracking Song" (Island of Dr Death ...).  In the final two paragraphs,
two people arrive on a giant vehicle.  Who are they?  I have thought of
a partial mundane explanation, but I don't like it.

Second - why does The Doctor of Death Island (also in The Island of Dr
Death ...) end so suddenly after the good Dr Margotte arrives (the
camera! The camera!)?

I would also love to discuss "The Changeling", but I think I should
re-read it a few times before engaging in such a risky operation.

Pangolin
(It's not the Whorl, but nevertheless ...)