Subject: (urth) (no subject)

From: Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 19:09:30 +0000

Roy C. Lackey wrote:

> If real-time phone service between planets light-years apart were even
> possible, the government would know and use it. Clearly it is not.
>
>
The government doesn't know everything. I quote:
 At last John said, "There are only two ways to communicate with Woldercan."
The president muttered, "That we know of."

Besides,what could either Reis or Chase have been doing on Woldercan
during the week
> or so that Cassie was left to cool her heels in the islands that would have
> benefited either man's immediate agenda?
>
>
I can imagine several possibilites:
1) Reis - Consult with the beings who taught him how to walk unseen and to
make gold. What else could they teach him? Love potions, maybe? Cassie
become much more loving after smelling that mysterious spicy cologne.
2) Chase - Find his natural father. Pick up some of the magical skills Reis
has learned. Get dirt on the existing ambassador so he can be replaced.
3) Either - use the time-shifting nature of trips to Woldercan to go
backward or forward in time.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090107/047c4947/attachment.htm>

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:55:36 +0000

> The president muttered, "That we know of."

Cell phones aren't magical. They require support technologies that the
government could not help but be aware of, and Reis was being monitored. If
packaged communication, such as eithermail, was problematic, and even if
lag-time were not a problem (which it would be, since even a hopper trip
must be done in stages), then real-time phone conversation would be
impossible.

> has learned. Get dirt on the existing ambassador so he can be replaced.

Chase didn't need to dig for dirt. An ambassador serves at the president's
pleasure. Gid's ambassadorship was partial payment for services rendered. As
the president said, "We want you to find out how he does it an' make him
stop doin' it. That's what it comes down to." (20) Gid did it.

Gid knew from the start how Reis was able to breach government security.
Reis "walks unseen", as the note to Cassie on the back of the photo showed.
What I am suggesting is that Gid set Reis up. He recruited Cassie as bait,
and Reis took the bait. When Reis acted to make Cassie his island queen, and
since he had already pissed off the Squid God by killing off a thousand of
the god's international recruits on the islands, he knew he had to act to
insure his queen's safety. The island natives were too afraid of the Squid
God to be of any help. So he hired Gid as a consultant, knowing Gid had the
ear of the president and the backing of the U.S. government. Gid told Reis
how to set the bait for the Squid God and got the president to send in the
Navy. The island natives killed Reis to placate the Squid God. Problem
solved. The presiden't commision was satisfied. Gid got his reward, the
ambassadorship to Woldercan he said he wanted (222), where he could learn
how to make gold, just as Reis had done.

-Roy