Subject: (urth) Update on _The Death of Doctor Island_

From: Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:15:44 +0000

Has anyone heard anything recently about the film project?

I read on http://www.doctorisland.com/secure/about/about2.htm that

"Doctor Island  was shot on 35mm film, on location in Costa Rica and
Los Angeles. The edit for each of the seven vignettes has been locked.
Sound design is nearly complete. The first vignette is scheduled for
completion in early 2008. Five years in the making thus far, the final
result will be an integrated, yet disturbing world through which one
may explore, but from which one cannot escape."

Early 2008 will soon be a full year ago. Is the project dead?

-- 
gwern

---

From: Nigel Price <nigelaprice at talktalk.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:48:08 +0000

Gwern Branwen asks concerning the movie version of "The Death of Doctor
Island" and it's supposed launch date...

>>Early 2008 will soon be a full year ago. Is the project dead?

Good question. Last I heard, they were still trying to raise money for the
CGI effects and were selling frames from the film on the website in an
attempt to generate cash. The current economic climate is not exactly
propitious, so my guess is that the project is still stalled, though not
abandoned.

You can e-mail the producers if you're interested and ask how it's going.
There's a contact address on the website.

I bought a frame from the movie, by the way. If any of you want this film to
see the light of day...one day...I would encourage you to do the same.

Nigel

---

From: Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 02:27:58 +0000

> There's a contact address on the website.

That was the next step, yes. I was hoping for the unofficial
scuttle-butt, if you will; an official email might not've been much
informative.

> see the light of day...one day...I would encourage you to do the same.

Was it worthwhile for you?

-- 
gwern

---

From: Kerry Benton <k.benton at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 06:04:45 +0000

I got one and I love it.

Even if the film never makes it, I love that single frame.  It's printed by
Shutterfly or one of those, but the quality is fine, and the image is just
something i like to look at..

-k

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090201/fd9c2160/attachment.htm>

---

From: Nigel Price <nigelaprice at talktalk.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:52:35 +0000

Concerning buying a still frame from the forthcoming (we hope!) movie
version of "The Death of Doctor Island", Gwern Branwen asked, a while
back...

>>Was it worthwhile for you?

Yes. The still frame was a striking image and nicely printed.

As I planned to display the photo in my study, my main difficulty in
choosing a frame from all those available was finding one in which the
cast's utter nakedness was not going to cause bewildered or sly amusement
among any future grandchildren I might have. To prevent snickering behind
Granddad's back, I eventually managed to find one in which the hero is shown
sufficiently deeply immersed in water to hide his...er...embarrassment!

Nigel