Subject: (urth) Guns ad nauseum

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:27:10 +0000

Guns are stolen all the time. Gun collectors have to lock up their stuff, and even then they get hit. I know someone whose neighbor bashed a hole in his wall to do it. He wasn't home.

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:17:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: brunians at brunians.org
Subject: Re: (urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe
To: "The Urth Mailing List" <urth at lists.urth.net>
Message-ID: <14217.67.142.130.35.1237400227.squirrel at brunians.org>
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1

Of course criminals, by definition, aren't very bright, but why would one
choose to break into a house where one knew that the residents were armed?
Even if you went with overwhelming force, you have to assume that at least
one or two of you are going to die.

If they go when he is not there, I guess I am assuming that he stores his
weapons properly when he is not home. So what do the kiddies do if they
are not professional safecrackers (there are almost none of these around
anymore)? Bring a forklift and a flatbed trailer?

------------------------------

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 090317-0, 03/17/2009
Tested on: 3/18/2009 2:27:11 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2009 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:40:30 +0000

Yes, well, if you are going to be living in the city, you have to
safegaurd your property. If that means a walk-in gun safe built into the
house, that is what it means.

All sorts of things are stolen all the time. That is too bad, but as long
as my things aren't stolen, I don't get too worked up about it.

.

> Guns are stolen all the time. Gun collectors have to lock up their stuff,
> and even then they get hit. I know someone whose neighbor bashed a hole in
> his wall to do it. He wasn't home.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:29:21 +0000

David Stockhoff wrote:
> Guns are stolen all the time. Gun collectors have to lock up their 
> stuff, and even then they get hit. I know someone whose neighbor bashed 
> a hole in his wall to do it. He wasn't home.

This is much preferable to having people break-in while you are at home, 
  so I'd call it a successful deterrence unless it was somehow 
established that the marginal desire to steal the gun motivated the 
decision to break in at all.

-- 
Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:32:29 +0000

> decision to break in at all.

A decent gunsafe, structurally attached to the house, is not so very
expensive, especially when you consider how much cash value even a small
gun collection can run to.

.

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:12:43 +0000

> gun collection can run to.

I agree, but I don't see how that addresses my comment.

---

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:25:13 +0000

Right, that was the point. Guns, iPods, laptops, cameras, cell phones, 
GPS units, and cash must be 90% of what people steal from homes and 
cars. Of course, one can assume any home has at least 1 of these, but if 
one knows for sure, well ... ------------------------------ Message: 3 
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:29:21 -0500 From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> 
Subject: Re: (urth) Guns ad nauseum To: The Urth Mailing List 
<urth at lists.urth.net> Message-ID: <49C23AA1.2080605 at io.com> 
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed David 

-- Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com < http://www.io.com/~jwilson > 
------------------------------

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 090318-0, 03/18/2009
Tested on: 3/19/2009 10:25:14 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2009 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:35:52 +0000

> Right, that was the point. Guns, iPods, laptops, cameras, cell phones, GPS 
> units, and cash must be 90% of what people steal from homes and cars. Of 
> course, one can assume any home has at least 1 of these, but if one knows 
> for sure, well ...

If someone truly believes that having a firearm in the house makes them a 
target for robbery, then they should put a little sign in their window: 
"This house is a gun free zone."

J

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:05:40 +0000

>>> This is much preferable to having people break-in while you are at
>>> home, so I'd call it a successful deterrence unless it was somehow

> I agree, but I don't see how that addresses my comment.

It doesn't. I am in total agreement with your comment.

.