Subject: (urth) from National Review Online

From: Fernando Q. Gouvêa <fqgouvea at colby.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:44:09 +0000

Wolfe Man [John J. Miller]

Today's Between the Covers podcast is with Gene Wolfe 
<http://radio.nationalreview.com/betweenthecovers/post/?q=MmQ2ZjA2OGE4ZWNmZjBkMGQ1MjRjYjlhOTA4YmU2OWE=>, 
the legendary science-fiction writer. Here's what /The Encyclopedia of 
Science Fiction/ says about him:

    Though neither the most popular nor the most influential author in
    the sf field, [Wolfe] is today quite possibly the most important.

How's that for an endorsement?

In our interview, we discuss his new anthology of short stories, the 
book that he thinks will be his legacy, and the influence of G.K. 
Chesterton on his work. At the end, he says this:

    I am a conservative. I certainly read William F. Buckley, Jr. with
    delight?I think he mellowed a little too much at the end?He wasn't
    as sharp-edged as he really should have been. Perhaps the same thing
    will happen to me.

Listen in — and subscribe to the whole BTC series on iTunes!

-- 
=============================================================
Fernando Q. Gouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College                     Editor, MAA FOCUS
5836 Mayflower Hill               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901              http://mathdl.maa.org/mathDL/19/
http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea

There are no physicists in the hottest parts of hell, because the 
existence of a "hottest part" implies a temperature difference, and any 
marginally competent physicist would immediately use this to run a heat 
engine and make some other part of hell comfortably cool. This is 
obviously impossible.
   -- Richard Davisson

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:53:16 +0000

>He wasn't as sharp-edged as he really should have been. Perhaps the same 
>thing will happen to me.

The man is in his 80s. If he plans to mellow, he'd better get on with it.
:-)

J.

---

From: Lane Haygood <lhaygood at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:07:55 +0000

I just can't bring myself to support the NRO. Is there a transcript  
somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 30, 2009, at 11:44 AM, "Fernando Q. Gouv?a"  
<fqgouvea at colby.edu> wrote:

> Today's Between the Covers podcast is with Gene Wolfe <http://radio.nationalreview.com/betweenthecovers/post/?q=MmQ2ZjA2OGE4ZWNmZjBkMGQ1MjRjYjlhOTA4YmU2OWE= 
> >, the legendary science-fiction writer. Here's what /The  
> Encyclopedia of Science Fiction/ says about him:
>
> existence of a "hottest part" implies a temperature difference, and  
> any marginally competent physicist would immediately use this to run  
> a heat engine and make some other part of hell comfortably cool.  
> This is obviously impossible.
>  -- Richard Davisson
>
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:27:50 +0000

>I just can't bring myself to support the NRO. Is there a transcript 

I doubt it, but you could listen to the interview at the site and just not 
click the ads. Then you are just leeching their bandwidth; hoisting them on 
their own petard, so to speak. If you don't allow yourself to be dusted just 
a little by evil conservative dandruff, you won't know what you are hating.

BTW It's interesting if not especially enlightening to hear Wolfe's 
summarization An Evil Guest.

J

---

From: Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:53:53 +0000

I love the part where he says "All those geeks who can't realize Severian is Christ don't get it, LOL"  

~Witz

---

From: Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:06:58 +0000

> a little by evil conservative dandruff, you won't know what you are hating.

I can bring myself to visit lefty websites, so surely a short visit to
the NRO won't kill anyone?

I love the way this comes up right after the whole "Politics of Gene
Wolfe" debacle.

-Matt

---

From: Fred Kiesche <recursive_loop at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:22:03 +0000

If you download it, you're not "supporting" it...you're just (as James put its) "leeching" the bandwidth.

Right click (PC), save target as, give it a name, and you have the .mp3 file. If any ads are iembedded in the show, there's always "fast forward"...

F.P. Kiesche III
"Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book. Always, scribble, scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on being presented with Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.) Blogging at The Lensman's Children and TexasBestGrok!

--- On Mon, 3/30/09, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) from National Review Online
To: "The Urth Mailing List" <urth at lists.urth.net>
Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 1:27 PM

somewhere?

J

      
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090330/d0cb6688/attachment-0001.htm>

---

From: Jordon Flato <jordonflato at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:39:19 +0000

I totally bought this.  Too bad he doesn't say it ;*(

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090330/224f5ec2/attachment.htm>

---

From: Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:47:54 +0000

Gotcha!

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Jordon Flato [mailto:jordonflato at gmail.com]
>Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:39 AM
>To: 'The Urth Mailing List'

---

From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:49:26 +0000

On Mar 30, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Jordon Flato wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org 
> > wrote:

Gene Wolfe saying "LOL" is no more likely than a Wolfe character  
saying "STFU."

Adam
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090330/06d50127/attachment.htm>

---

From: Jordon Flato <jordonflato at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:51:16 +0000

Hey, stranger things have happened.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Adam Thornton <adam at io.com> wrote:

> Gene Wolfe saying "LOL" is no more likely than a Wolfe character saying
> "STFU."
>
> Adam
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090330/50cc7ab8/attachment.htm>

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 19:23:32 +0000

>> Wolfe: "I think he mellowed a little too much at the end

> The man is in his 80s.

Next year he is 80.

Perhaps we should descend upon Barrington bearing tribute....

Quite seriously, why don't we get a hotel there sometime around his
birthday and throw a big thing for him?

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 19:29:49 +0000

> click the ads. Then you are just leeching their bandwidth; hoisting them
> on their own petard, so to speak. If you don't allow yourself to be dusted
> just a little by evil conservative dandruff, you won't know what you are
> hating.

I was going to say, that is a remarkably ignorant attitude he's got there,
but it isn't remarkable at all, is it? Just ignorant.

> summarization An Evil Guest.

Looking forward to that....

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 19:46:21 +0000

Matt Keeley writes:
>> I doubt it, but you could listen to the interview at the site and just
>> not click the ads. Then you are just leeching their bandwidth; hoisting
>> them on their own petard, so to speak. If you don't allow yourself to be
>> dusted just a little by evil conservative dandruff, you won't know what
>> you are hating.

> I love the way this comes up right after the whole "Politics of Gene

I thought that was a very lively conversation. I certainly did learn a lot
from it.

.

---

From: don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:19:39 +0000

Doggerel
www.don-doggett.blogspot.com

> likely than a Wolfe character saying

Yeah, WTF? I can't even begin to tell you how wholly satisfying it was to put those four letters in the subject line. Keeping it relevant to Wolfe and trying to answer a question that's been bothering me about AEG was just cake.

Don

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:09:05 +0000

brunians at brunians.org wrote:
>>> Wolfe: "I think he mellowed a little too much at the end?

Most sources I can locate list his birthday as May 7, 1931.

> birthday and throw a big thing for him?

I doubt Mr Wolfe would appreciate having a brawl thrown in his honor.

-- 
Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:17:35 +0000

>>>> He wasn't as sharp-edged as he really should have been. Perhaps the
>>>> same thing will happen to me.

> I doubt Mr Wolfe would appreciate having a brawl thrown in his honor.

Oh, I m sure we would all be on our best behavior. If you don't feel that
you can control yourself, by all means, stay away.

I've done this kind of thing before, it can work out well.

.

---

From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:18:11 +0000

> I doubt Mr Wolfe would appreciate having a brawl thrown in his honor.

I was thinking a sofa, or maybe a fridge.

Adam

---

From: Allan Anderson <rubel at goosemoon.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:58:37 +0000

Thanks, Fernando -- it's always fun to hear a voice and have an author  
become a bit more of a real person in my mind!

My favorite part was how he described Chesterson. I've only read _The  
Man Who Was Thursday_, but the lyrical yet sharp and insightful style  
of that book really clicks with what Wolfe says.

---

From: Craig Brewer <cnbrewer at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:24:12 +0000

Definitely thanks for the heads up on this!

Personally, I thought it was very typical Wolfe on his answer to the conservative question. Give a straight answer and follow it up with qualifications that ask more questions. What parts of Buckley, exactly, counted as mellowing? Why was he seemingly not perfectly fond of being a conservative in Buckley's image? And why back out of the question with a dismissive, "Oh, you talk about conservatism all the time, you don't want to hear about that."

And was his surprise that BotNS is so popular just modesty? He's said before that he's surprised that people stick with a torturer as a protagonist for so long, but certainly by now, his reputation lets it be known that isn't "just" a torturer, no?

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:51:53 +0000

I'm fairly sure that Gene Wolfe has all of the household furniture that he
needs.

I was thinking more of like a dinner in his honor and perhaps people
thanking him for writing all of this great stuff that he has written and
maybe other things, the idea being that they are pleasurable things for
him and not anything that requires him to do any work or anything besides
show up.

.

---

From: Craig Brewer <cnbrewer at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:54:22 +0000

Since I already live in the neighborhood, I'd be more than willing to attend and help organize if we get enough people thinking it would be a good thing.

----- Original Message ----
From: "brunians at brunians.org" <brunians at brunians.org>
To: The Urth Mailing List <urth at lists.urth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:51:53 AM
Subject: Re: (urth) from National Review Online

.

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:54:46 +0000

Perhaps a festschrift would be more appropriate?

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

---

From: Craig Brewer <cnbrewer at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:56:21 +0000

Ah, now that's an even more promising idea, methinks.

---

From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:16:29 +0000

>> I was thinking a sofa, or maybe a fridge.

Oh, I wasn't going to GIVE them to him.  Just throw them.  Certainly  
not AT him!

Adam

---

From: James B. Jordan <jbjordan4 at cox.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:58:02 +0000

Why not organize a festschrift, and have 15-20 authors write short 
stores in his honor?

Nutria

> > I was thinking a sofa, or maybe a fridge.

James B. Jordan
Director, Biblical Horizons
Box 1096
Niceville, FL 32588
http://www.biblicalhorizons.com 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090331/c275c09d/attachment.htm>

---

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:58:22 +0000

Or equally appropriate.  Indeed, a dedication copy of a
festschrift could easily be presented at the kind of dinner
Josh has in mind.

I imagine Wolfe's children may be planning something, in
which case people would need to join or coordinate with
them.

Jerry Friedman

--- On Tue, 3/31/09, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Date: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 9:54 AM
> > Since I already live in the neighborhood, I'd be
> more than willing to attend and help organize if we get
> enough people thinking it would be a good thing.
> >
> >
> >

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:24:08 +0000

Very excellent.

Since we have more than two years to plan this out, I don't see any reason
why it shouldn't be a success.

.

> Since I already live in the neighborhood, I'd be more than willing to
> attend and help organize if we get enough people thinking it would be a
> good thing.
>
>
>

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:25:32 +0000

Is that what it is called?

I like the sound of that!

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:27:32 +0000

What specifically is a festschrift besides 'a celebration of the writing'
as I translate it from the German? Is there a specialized meaning of the
term that I am unaware of (as I am unaware of most things)?

.

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:29:27 +0000

A festschrift is a book -- usually of essays -- "presented to" someone
to celebrate their life and work. This is an academic tradition for a
highly-respected colleague.

In the case of Wolfe, it would make sense if it was stories, or a
mixture of stories and essays.

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:29:36 +0000

>> I'm fairly sure that Gene Wolfe has all of the household furniture
>> that he needs.

>> thanking him for writing all of this great stuff that he has written
>> and maybe other things, the idea being that they are pleasurable things
>> for him and not anything that requires him to do any work or anything
>> besides show up.

> Oh, I wasn't going to GIVE them to him.  Just throw them.  Certainly

Wow, you're strong! Unless we're talking doll furniture or something....

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:34:35 +0000

Well, I don't know anything about doing this. I know I could organize
logistics for a dinner/conference. I am wary of committing myself to large
amounts of work that I am unfamiliar with.

Besides, this is Gene Wolfe we are talking about: I am sure that both pros
and fans are going to be doing similar things already.

That's why not from my end, anyway.

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:36:58 +0000

Absolutely.

As someone pointed out to me in private mail, it would be absolutely
required that we had the man's permission for me to be willing to do it.
So it might be appropriate for those of you who have direct contact with
him to see what plans might be for us to conform to.

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:38:13 +0000

I like Jerry Friedman's take on this....

.

>>>> that
>>>> he
>>>> and

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:37:41 +0000

> I've done this kind of thing before, it can work out well.

It's not me I'm worried about, but I can all too easily envision some 
heated discussions and spilled drinks leading to an exchange of 
assaults, both real and imagined.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:03:21 +0000

>> Oh, I m sure we would all be on our best behavior. If you don't feel
>> that you can control yourself, by all means, stay away.

> It's not me I'm worried about,

No one expects you to control the behavior of anyone except yourself.

>                          but I can all too easily envision some

As I say, gaurantee your own behavior and let others do the same for theirs.

.

---

From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:18:54 +0000

> Wow, you're strong! Unless we're talking doll furniture or  

I figured I'd have help.  It was supposed to be a get-together, right?

Adam

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:58:50 +0000

> I figured I'd have help.  It was supposed to be a get-together, right?

I'll bring my trebuchet.

.

---

From: Rebecca Bushong-Taylor <rebeccabt01 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 04:34:21 +0000

I checked with the Source.  Gene is 77.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090331/4b3bc868/attachment.htm>

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 05:21:52 +0000

7 May, right?

So this year he will be 78, in 2010 he will be 79, in 2011 he will be 80.

Do you think we'd get permission to throw this here shindig? The timing is
excellent.

.

---

From: Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 14:11:57 +0000

On Mar 31, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:

> It's not me I'm worried about, but I can all too easily envision  
> some heated discussions and spilled drinks leading to an exchange of  

Guaranteed these discussions wouldn't get so pitched in real life face  
to face.
Faceless internet communication makes it much harder to recognize a  
joke, or when you've gone too far, or...

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:46:50 +0000

Sometimes I will meet people who know me from online, and occasionally
they will try to get me to talk about some of the more controversial stuff
that I do talk about. It is very easy to not do so, and even to tell them
why I am not doing so.

If they really insist, I find that the best thing to do is to say: "You
know what? You are absolutely right!", change the subject and do not go
back to the old subject whatever the temptation.

.

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:08:58 +0000

> joke, or when you've gone too far, or...

God bless you for your faith in our fellows, Witz, but I've been to too 
many meet-ups where people started showing their ass to have your 
confidence.

I believe it is like the same-birthday exercise; any one person has less 
than a 1% chance of sharing a birthday with any other random person, but 
in a group of twenty the odds are better than 40%.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:38:03 +0000

Really, this doesn't come up with me.

I must be getting old.

.

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 18:53:21 +0000

> Really, this doesn't come up with me.

It's not you I'm particularly worried about, either. But suppose Harlan 
Ellison shows up?

---

From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 18:55:10 +0000

On Apr 1, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:

> It's not you I'm particularly worried about, either. But suppose  
> Harlan Ellison shows up?

I can take him.

As long as I can keep him at arm's length anyway.

Adam
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090401/0c0159e6/attachment.htm>

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 18:59:00 +0000

Adam Thornton wrote:
>> brunians at brunians.org <mailto:brunians at brunians.org> wrote:

I _would_ appreciate such a brawl, but still I don't think Mr Wolfe would.

---

From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:00:46 +0000

> I _would_ appreciate such a brawl, but still I don't think Mr Wolfe  

If there's one person I'd worry about trying to apply the Two Apricots  
to me, it's probably Harlan Ellison.    So it's probably for the best.

Adam

---

From: Rebecca Bushong-Taylor <rebeccabt01 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:05:15 +0000

If people are serious about this and genuinely mean for it to be a tribute
to Gene and not simply a "groupie fest", the smart thing to do might be to
talk to his daughter Teri, who lives closest of all his kids.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:

> < http://www.io.com/~jwilson <http://www.io.com/%7Ejwilson> >
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090401/adfc47b6/attachment-0001.htm>

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:12:09 +0000

I got a bottle of ether and some ketamine darts....

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:12:45 +0000

Just don't drop him and don't let him kick you in the elbow.

.

> Adam_______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:15:54 +0000

I am completely serious about this, and I will go to great lengths to
ensure that it is in fact a tribute to Gene and not a groupie fest, and I
would be incredibly happy to talk to Teri if only I knew how to get in
touch with her!

.

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:17:38 +0000

>If people are serious about this and genuinely mean
>for it to be a tribute to Gene and not simply a "groupie fest",
>the smart thing to do might be to talk to his daughter Teri,
>who lives closest of all his kids.

I don't disagree about any of this, but how would a "groupie fest" not be a 
tribute to Gene?
If people showed up dressed a Severian or Horn or Typhon, could that be 
anything but a tribute? Gene has been going to conventions since the early 
seventies (at least), I'd be surprised if he did not appreciate a convention 
thrown in honor of his works. He'll probably have a "real" birthday party 
with family and friends. Anything organized from this list is likely to be 
indistinguishable from a festival of fans.

Just trying to establish realistic expectations.

J.

---

From: Rebecca Bushong-Taylor <rebeccabt01 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:21:00 +0000

I was under the impression that Teri was affiliated with Urth.net, and
contributed from time to time.  If you can't get her email address that way,
I could check with her and see if it's ok to pass on her address to you....

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090401/88a5d2af/attachment.htm>

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:25:18 +0000

I imagine that if this is going to be real, at some point we will discover
his likes and dislikes in these matters, which we will then conform to.

I remember from his writings that he doesn't want to be sent out after
ice. That should be fairly easy....

.

> I don't disagree about any of this, but how would a "groupie fest" not be
> a tribute to Gene?

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:47:25 +0000

You know....the more I think about it, if this were called a Gene Wolfe 
Convention and were organized as such with all the events and forums and 
hoopla one expects from such things, and if it were held in the Chicago 
area, Gene would go. Also, it would probably attract more admirers on this 
list, and an impressive assortment of Named Authors as well. You should get 
in touch with the Windy Con people since they already have experience with 
such things.

If one wants merely to sit down at a meal with Gene and Rosemary, my recent 
experience was that he is an especially accessible person. If you contacted 
Teri and set a date, you could buy a plane ticket to Chicago and have the 
opportunity to take the Wolfe's to dinner yourself. Invite Teri along, 
because she's a real hoot.

J.