Subject: (urth) Multi LImbs

From: Brian Lovely <brian at studiobl.com>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 22:29:12 +0000

"They're hiding in animals"  Maybe this applies to the Neighbors as well.
Not all animals on Blue have extra limbs.  Somewhere in the books, Horn
talks about eight-legged wolves and regular wolves.  ...I think it's wolves.
Anyway, what if the Neighbors decided to hide from the Inhumi in animals,
and the animals they are inside are the multi-limbed ones.  It may be a kind
of defense against the Inhumi in that if the host animal is attacked, the
Inhumi only gets non-sentient animal blood.  

Perhaps the Inhumi mimicked Pas also by hedging their bet with more than one
survival strategy: hiding in animals, hiding in trees, maybe hiding in
undersea domes, and possibly hiding in "the spaces between".  Or maybe the
"spaces between" part is when they come out of their various hiding places.

At the end of "In Green's Jungles" Silkhorn and Hide see a baletiger.
Silkhorn has been doing a lot of communing with the Outsider.  Hide asks
about the baletiger something like "It that...?" and Silkhorn replies "I
think so".  ...or something very much like that.  There are at least two
interpretations of what Hide was thinking.  One that the baletiger was a
messenger of the Outsider, or at least currently under the direct influence
of the Outsider.  Another is that the baletiger was a Neighbor host.

During the trial in Dorp, a Neighbor says that Horn has stayed in his house.
Assuming you accept the theory that at some point Horn has been in Babbie,
that could be when this occurred.  Babbie has extra limbs, marking him
(according to this theory ) as a Neighbor host.  Also, Horn first sees
Babbie jumping from Maytera Marble's island, he has trouble determining how
many creatures he is seeing.  This confusion of number is a very
Neighbor-like trait.

-----Original Message-----
From: urth-bounces at lists.urth.net [mailto:urth-bounces at lists.urth.net] On
Behalf Of urth-request at lists.urth.net
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 5:10 PM
To: urth at lists.urth.net
Subject: Urth Digest, Vol 57, Issue 4

Send Urth mailing list submissions to
	urth at lists.urth.net

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://lists.urth.net/listinfo.cgi/urth-urth.net
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	urth-request at lists.urth.net

You can reach the person managing the list at
	urth-owner at lists.urth.net

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Urth digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1.  multi-limbs (b sharp)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 08:18:52 -0400
From: b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com>
Subject: (urth) multi-limbs
To: <urth at urth.net>
Message-ID: <COL109-W58E6EE3210F13E6DCB06B9D7680 at phx.gbl>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

FWIW, my impression of the message of multi-limbs on Blue's creatures is the
opposite
that some others get. Having four limbs is not a universal ideal or baseline
(as our arthropod
cousins show); it is just an evolutionary by-product of the basic earth
vertebrate pattern.
 
So rather than seeing multi-limbs as an alteration, I see them as a way that
Wolfe marks
certain creatures on Blue as natives; others are are alien invaders. This
could be a
clear message that Blue is not Earth or Urth or Ushas.
 
Also, I suppose it has been mentioned before but I just re-noticed Wolfe's
description of 
Inhumi as not being good with tools.  Add this to their parasitic and
mimicking nature and
I think the connection to Shadow Children becomes quite powerful. This might
make Fifth Head
of Cerberus a very fruitful place for understanding Inhumi origins and how
they think and feel
as they assume a new identity. 

-bsharp
_________________________________________________________________
Hotmail? goes with you. 
http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/Mobile?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial
_Mobile1_052009

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Urth Mailing List
To post, write urth at urth.net
Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

End of Urth Digest, Vol 57, Issue 4
***********************************

---

From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 22:55:35 +0000

On May 4, 2009, at 5:29 PM, Brian Lovely wrote:

> Somewhere in the books, Horn
> talks about eight-legged wolves and regular wolves.

There's a joke waiting to be made here about "the beast with two backs."

Can't quite find it.

Adam

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 23:21:27 +0000

Do the Neighbors have tails?

Do the inhumi?

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

---

From: Brian Lovely <brian at studiobl.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 13:11:12 +0000

Some more thoughts about Neighbors, domes and blood.  If the domes are
greenhouses, it seems strange that the one Horn and Seawrack find has no old
growth in it.  Where did the plants go?  Were they removed for the purpose
for which they were grown?  The glass of the domes intensifies light, which
I have interpreted as meaning that the domes are greenhouses.  Seawrack says
she has seen structures similar to the ruined one she and Horn find on the
weed island.  If they are just shelters, maybe the light intensification is
to allow sunlight into an undersea dome.

As to the Neighbors hiding in animals, I think maybe the Neighbors used the
Marc's eat/spit out hybrid behavior of the trees to create animals capable
of hosting them.  

What's up with blood?  We know that Wolfe uses blood transfer as a mechanism
of personality/physical attribute transfer.  Why does Seawrack react at the
mention of blood sharing?  I just re-read the encounter with He-pen-sheep in
the Land of Fires.  When He-pen-sheep says he shared blood with a shearbear,
Seawrack reacts with surprise/shock.  This happens again in Pajarocu.  Was
Seawrack transformed from a vanilla human to a siren through some blood
transfer mechanism?  The Mother likely made her a siren in the first place.
Could the Mother have altered the Neighbors so that they could escape the
Inhumi?

-----Original Message-----

Message: 1

 

-bsharp

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 18:07:21 +0000

>If they are just shelters, maybe the light intensification is

This is something I have been thinking recently. It is common to think of 
the underwater domes Seawrack has seen as a sign of a world flood. But the 
dome Horn found might be a sign of the *drying* of Blue, or of the floating 
island raising the dome above the waters.

---

From: Jeffrey Brent McBeth <mcbeth at broggs.org>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 18:15:00 +0000

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 01:07:21PM -0500, James Wynn wrote:
> the underwater domes Seawrack has seen as a sign of a world flood. But 
> the dome Horn found might be a sign of the *drying* of Blue, or of the 
> floating island raising the dome above the waters.

If the glass intensifies the light, couldn't these be underwater
habitats using the glass to provide natural sunlight?

Jeff

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over 
 the man who cannot read them."
 -- Mark Twain
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20090505/d2b22204/attachment.pgp>

---

From: Brian Lovely <brian at studiobl.com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 17:55:00 +0000

For a while I was thinking the domes were undersea because the Inhumi were
unable to survive salt water, but Krait swims to Horn's boat at one point.
If they domes are shelters against the Inhumi, there's no need to put them
underwater.