Subject: (urth) Seven Severians

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.geis.com>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 20:22:00 +0000

War, gains Throne, goes to Yesod, comes back.

Sev2: the putative Narrator, the optimized Severian.  Gets Claw;
meets Apu; goes to Thrax; meets Typhon; meets Ash; gains Throne; gets
on ship bound for Yesod--dies on ship.

Sev3: Avatar of Change, The Conciliator.  Goes to Yesod; <trigger
point> creates the white fountain (not blood magic this time);
returns to Urth as Conciliator; <trigger point> gives Claw to
soldiers (then dies on Mount Typhon and goes independent of Severian
the Narrator?); goes to the Deluge; dies in Deluge (go to Sev6).

Sev4: the white fountain.  Linked to Severian the Narrator.  Enters
new phase (not so closely bound to Severian) when it merges with
the Old Sun to create the New Sun.

Sev5: the Claw of the Conciliator.  Independent, but possibly has
memories of Sev1's penitence in Yesod--this becomes the guide for
miracles.

Sev6: Avatar of Culture.  Apu Punchau.  Goes as far back in time as
he can; teaches civilization; is murdered; becomes independent of
Severian the Narrator <trigger point>.

Sev7: the Sleeper God of Ushas.

Still unaccounted for: Severian armiger of the mausoleum in the
necropolis at the Citadel of the Autarch.  Best candidate for this
soldier at the dawn of the Age of the Autarch would be a revived,
independent sliver of Sev3, after the Narrative spirit had moved on.

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: C R Culver <crculver at aol.com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 17:30:43 +0000

Mantis said:
<Still unaccounted for: Severian armiger of the mausoleum in the
necropolis at the Citadel of the Autarch.>

The fact that people believe in Sev's time that the Conciliator died leads me
to suspect they had a body as evidence. So, when Severian "stepped into a new
place" from Mount Typhon, his new sliver left behind a body. Perhaps the
people loyal to the Conciliator cold have taken his body back to Nessus and
put it in the tomb then. However, this does not answer the question of what
the symbols on the tomb mean.

Christopher R. Culver <crculver at aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html