Subject: (urth) Wolfe at Dragon*Con (This has to do with Politics)

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 21:59:59 +0000

I just remembered this.

Somehow a questioner addressed Wolfe's politics.
This is what he said:

"The form of government I favor is Democracy, which means "Rule by the 
People".
America does not have a democracy. It has a Republic. That means that every 
so often we elect people to rule over us. And once we have, you can believe 
they *know* it.
We are endanger, I think, of becoming eventually ruled by the Supreme Court 
which would be the worst of all governments. That is essentially the sort of 
government the Spartans had. They elected Ephors to rule over them. "Ephor" 
means judges. The Spartans made the Nazis look like boy scouts."

<Then he described the yearly declaration of war against the Helots declared 
by the ephors. And described the plot against the Helots that helped in the 
war against Persia. (See Herodutos' "History" and Wolfe's "Soldier of 
Arete".)  He also went into the fact that Spartan women were freer than 
those of any other Greeks and explained why.>