Subject: (urth) Wolfe-influenced, if not Wolfe-esque

From: Stephen Case <scase at olivet.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:13:07 +0000

I've published a second story that the list may or may not be interested in.  I link it here simply because I consider myself a writer heavily influenced by Wolfe (and would of course welcome feedback): http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.com/story.php?s=63

-Steve

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:19:48 +0000

How many pages?

.

> I've published a second story that the list may or may not be interested
> in.  I link it here simply because I consider myself a writer heavily
> influenced by Wolfe (and would of course welcome feedback):
> http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.com/story.php?s=63
>
> -Steve
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 01:01:48 +0000

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Stephen Case <scase at olivet.edu> wrote:
> I've published a second story that the list may or may not be interested in. ?I link it here simply because I consider myself a writer heavily influenced by Wolfe (and would of course welcome feedback): http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.com/story.php?s=63
>
> -Steve

I think it's pretty decent, and not too long. The language is
sometimes a bit affected where I suspect Wolf would've been terser.
eg. I feel Wolfe might've written 'But I find I am getting ahead of my
account.' as 'But I overrun my narrative.'

The story itself is fine. My biggest gripe is that I'm still not sure
how the palace thing worked. Invisible water lifting the palace?

The entire time I was reading, I kept hoping - Be a Cloud Nine! Be a
Cloud Nine! (See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_nine_(Tensegrity_sphere) - a
geodesic dome or sphere so large that its diameter is so small in
proportion to its volume that it turns into a hot air balloon,
essentially.)

That would also be more Wolfean - real (at least, proposed) technology
thought to be magic. But I'll admit I'm biased since I love the idea
of a Cloud Nine and have used them in 2 of my own stories.

-- 
gwern