Subject: (urth) An Herodotus account possibly confirmed

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:21:44 +0000

"Bones, jewelry and weapons found in Egyptian desert may be the
remains of Cambyses' army that vanished 2,500 years ago."

"According to Herodotus (484-425 B.C.), Cambyses, the son of Cyrus the
Great, sent 50,000 soldiers from Thebes to attack the Oasis of Siwa
and destroy the oracle at the Temple of Amun after the priests there
refused to legitimize his claim to Egypt. After walking for seven days
in the desert, the army got to an "oasis," which historians believe
was El-Kharga. After they left, they were never seen again.

"A wind arose from the south, strong and deadly, bringing with it vast
columns of whirling sand, which entirely covered up the troops and
caused them wholly to disappear," wrote Herodotus."

The tale of Cambyses' lost army, however, faded into antiquity. As no
trace of the hapless warriors was ever found, scholars began to
dismiss the story as a fanciful tale."

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:12:35 +0000

What, again?

.

> http://news.discovery.com/archaeology/cambyses-army-remains-sahara.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: John Smith <jsmith2627 at att.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:09:26 +0000

Herodotus's Histories is a wonderful book, and readers of Wolfe's "Soldier" books should enjoy this source.
The accuracy of the Histories has often been questioned, but many strange tales have been confirmed.

Best wishes,

Jack

--- On Thu, 11/12/09, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Subject: (urth) An Herodotus account possibly confirmed
To: "The Urth Mailing List" <urth at lists.urth.net>
Date: Thursday, November 12, 2009, 12:21 PM

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20091112/df5bbe62/attachment.htm>