Subject: (urth) Maybe i'm reading too much into it...

From: Greg Bates <tedkennedyrolls at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 19:08:14 +0000

I'm probably reading too much into this, but I just started playing Killzone
2 today (got a Playstation 3 for Christmas), and I couldn't help but notice
that your main character's name is "Sev" and the spaceship he arrived in is
called the "New Sun." Anybody else caught any strange maybe-Gene Wolfe
references in pop culture?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100104/fb781e32/attachment.htm>

---

From: Lane Haygood <lhaygood at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 19:17:20 +0000

That seems fairly blatant to me.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 4, 2010, at 1:08 PM, Greg Bates <tedkennedyrolls at gmail.com>  
wrote:

> I'm probably reading too much into this, but I just started playing  
> Killzone 2 today (got a Playstation 3 for Christmas), and I couldn't  
> help but notice that your main character's name is "Sev" and the  
> spaceship he arrived in is called the "New Sun." Anybody else caught  
> any strange maybe-Gene Wolfe references in pop culture?
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

---

From: Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 20:21:50 +0000

I don't think you're reading too much into this at all. I played the
game myself and noticed it. Someone on the Killzone 2 team has good
taste in literature — the second level is called Blood Meridian.

Also, the main villain's rank is "autarch".

Terminus Est appears as a sword in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
Doubtless there are other Wolfe references in games too.

I don't know if your PS3 is online at the moment, but if you want to
add a fellow Wolfe fan as a PSN friend, my screentag is keeleymk.
Mostly playing Uncharted 2 at the moment — highly, highly recommended.

-Matt

---

From: Greg Bates <tedkennedyrolls at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 04:27:16 +0000

Sent. Never found Terminus Est in SotN -  maybe it's time for a 2nd run.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for any two-headed bosses in Killzone, too.

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Matthew Keeley
<matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Killzone
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100104/f1710811/attachment.htm>