Subject: (urth) Minor AEG note

From: Allen Short <washort42 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:01:24 +0000

In case anyone missed the significance of Gideon ordering the
"Renaissance French Toast" at the beginning of chapter 6, it's from a
joke usually attributed to Steven Wright:

??"I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time.' So I
ordered French Toast during the Renaissance."

Other than a clever allusion to restaurants like International House
of Pancakes that serve breakfast all day, could this be another hint
at the time-travel themes in the story? (Also, what's with the
constant food references? This got brought up early on but I don't
recall any significant exploration of it...)

---

From: Fernando Gouvea <fqgouvea at colby.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:07:07 +0000

I met Gene for dinner when he was writing the book, and he told me that 
he was having lots of fun inserting references to as many kinds of salad 
dressing as he could. This came up because he asked the waiter whether 
they had Green Goddess salad dressing. I told him one of the local 
restaurants did have it, and he mentioned the scene in the book. It 
didn't sound as if there was any special significance to it.

Fernando

On 3/22/2010 2:01 PM, Allen Short wrote:
>    "I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time.' So I
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

-- 
=============================================================
Fernando Q. Gouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College                     Editor, MAA FOCUS
5836 Mayflower Hill               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901              http://mathdl.maa.org/mathDL/19/
http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea

Most of us have the sense that we have sinned, even if we don't call it that... I mean the knowledge that there's a great deal wrong with the world and that some of it is our doing -- the kind of knowledge that intrudes upon us when we are honest with ourselves or too tired to engage in sophistry.
   -- Roberto Rivera, Notes from the Wasteland

---

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:51:50 +0000

Well, it figures Wolfe would notice Green Goddess salad dressing. I suppose there isn't a salad dressing with "wolf" in its name, so one works with what's at hand. ;)

And the time-travel toast joke seems in line with the use of salad dressing names.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:01:24 -0700
From: Allen Short <washort42 at gmail.com>
To: urth at lists.urth.net
Subject: (urth) Minor AEG note
Message-ID:
	<f147f7e11003221101i6300179dg13dd9c5dc2ec9a54 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:07:07 -0400
From: Fernando Gouvea <fqgouvea at colby.edu>
To: urth at lists.urth.net
Subject: Re: (urth) Minor AEG note
Message-ID: <4BA7B1CB.4010107 at colby.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

Fernando

> > recall any significant exploration of it...)

-- =============================================================