Subject: (urth) TSH: Ted, rings, ghosts

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 19:27:50 +0000

By the time Bax was beaten by Ieuan, he had both the opal ring from the fish
and Ted's ring. At that point he knew nothing at all about any hypothetical
previous owner of the opal ring, and only what little Doris had told him
about Ted. He didn't know then what Ted looked like. When writing about it,
Bax decided that the big man who came between him and Ieuan must have been
the boy's father, but that is not what he thought at the time of the
beating: "At the time, because of his ring, I thought him something else; .
. ." (50)

That "something else" must have been a ghost. It must have been that the big
man was wearing a ring identical to the one on Bax's finger, the ring Doris
had given him that had belonged to her dead husband.

Bax, at least, did not believe that a ghost could leave behind real,
tangible objects. In talking to Doris, who had asked if he had seen any
ghosts, he mentioned his first encounter with Emlyn. "I didn't make it up,
and he wasn't a ghost. I know he wasn't because he dropped things. Real
things. I still have them." (36) He meant, of course, the triannulus and
"longlight".

Now a digression to an earlier topic. The text makes clear that Ted was a
big man, taller and heavier than average Bax, and Black/Skotos was a small
man, shorter than Bax. However, in later conversation with Emlyn, the boy
asked Bax if he might be his father in disguise. Bax said no and asked if
his father could disguise himself that well, and the boy said yes (161).

And that brings me back to Doris's bedroom and her visit by Ted. According
to her, Ted's apparition had left behind an unspecified tangible object,
with his initials in a corner of it. I think someone wondered earlier if the
object might have been the triannulus. It seems doubtful, yet I can't rule
it out. And if Zwart could really have disguised himself to look like Bax,
then he might as easily have disguised himself to look like anyone, even
Ted. And that opens up a whole can of worms.

Doris might not have said what the wet item was because she didn't know
what it was. And the Ted she saw might not have been a ghost. Winkle/Winker
and old Nick seemed to come and go as if by magic, as well as other figures
from faerie.

Neither does any of this preclude Ted from somehow being Goldwurm.

If it seems as though I am pointing in different directions at the same
time, it is because I am. I'm just trying to make sense of what there is to
deal with.

-Roy

---

From: Mr Thalassocrat <thalassocrat08 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 08:45:49 +0000

> had given him that had belonged to her dead husband.
That's certainly the way I understood it.

> things. I still have them." (36) He meant, of course, the triannulus and

Note how the ring gets introduced in this first conversation with Doris. She
wants to hear any ghost stories Bax might have; he tells her about his
encounter with Emlyn and Emlyn's dropping stuff; she asks whether Bax's opal
ring was one of those things; just after this, she gives Bax Ted's ring,
after ascertaINING that he's not married.

I think Doris knows some "stuff" and she is actively fishing for information
here. She's really interested in that opal ring; hence my little theory
about why she gave Ted's ring to Bax: she wants Bax to give her the other
one (I guess a wedding ring).

Recall also that on the scary ride to the same restaurant later on, she says
that of everybody she can think, she wishes Ted was with them - because, I
think, she knows that Ted was involved with this "stuff" and would know how
to handle it.

As to what the wet initialled object might have been at the end: perhaps
Ted's shroud? Would that be monogrammed?

> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100515/7028bf65/attachment-0001.htm>

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 20:28:19 +0000

> after ascertaINING that he's not married.

Yet he had already told her he wasn't married when she picked him up to go
to the restaurant (33).

> one (I guess a wedding ring).

She came to the restaurant armed with Ted's ring, even though she said the
sight of it caused her grief, which makes me think she must have been up to
something. But how would she have known that Bax had the opal ring before
she saw it on his finger? The only other person who even knew Bax had it was
the jeweler he had shown it to that morning, who had said the ring was
worthless. And her note with the flimsy excuse for asking him to lunch came
in that same morning's mail.

If Ted is Someone Important, it seems just too coincidental that his wife
would spontaneously make a play for a man she had thought was poor up to the
minute she saw the opal ring on his finger. That would imply that she was
ignorant of its sorcerous worth and saw only the potential wealth a
cat's-eye opal suggested. That reduces her to a simple gold digger, not a
knowing ally of her husband. Unless the coincidence was the result of Bax
having messed with the triannulus and one of those "other things" that "fell
into line as well" (33) came into play.

> think, she knows that Ted was involved with this "stuff" and would know
how

Much the same way that Emlyn lamented his father not being around to tell
him how to handle things.

> Ted's shroud? Would that be monogrammed?

I've never heard of a monogrammed shroud.

Let's run with the theory that Ted is Goldwurm and Doris his accomplice.
Does that mean that he didn't die and she knows it? She faked being a widow
for two years before Bax even came to town? Or he didn't die and she really
thought he had, medical bills and all?

Why did she send the Dear John letter? The last time Bax saw her was in his
driveway when she left to take Cathy to the hospital. The last he spoke to
her was the next(?) morning when she phoned to confirm his suspicion that
Martha had been one of the mourners at Skotos's funeral. The Dear John
letter comes out of nowhere.

A Dear John letter is usually prompted by the gal finding another guy. Was
there another guy? George? Then why turn right around and write the Terrible
Mistake letter, set it aside, go to the house to help catch a vampire, then
come home to write the postscript telling about it and mail it off?

-Roy