Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v010.n007

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 19:37:10 +0000

>From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley at warwick.net>
>>In-Reply-To: <199805041540.IAA22221 at lists1.best.com>

>Don Maitz is the artist in question

And one way to get in touch with him is through Wolfe's editor, David
Hartwell, now at Tor. You could write, but the NYRSF has a website
maintained by Hartwell's wife, and that would be easier. Easier still this
seems to be his own website:
http://www.westol.com/~trystane/DonMaitz/index.html

-alga-

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Matthew Freestone <matthew at matthewf.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 12:25:43 +0000

>>I do have one question I'm hoping someone here can help me with:
>>Does anyone know the artist who did the cover art for "The Book of the
>>New Sun" tetralogy?
>
>Mike,
>
>Ooooh! An easy question! I'll answer it!
>
>Don Maitz is the artist in question. I am not crazy about his covers for
>TBotNS, but I really like some of his other work. Wolfe does seem to like
>the covers, though. Maitz's first collection, _First Maitz_ (1988, ISBN
>0-942681-01-0) has an introduction by Wolfe, who says some extremely nice
>things about them. Wolfe also complements Maitz's covers elsewhere, I
>believe in _The Castle of the Otter_.
>
I agree that's probably the set Mike wants, but I should point out that
there are others: I have an Arrow edition from around 1987 with
(unexciting) covers by one Peter Andrew Jones. There was also an earlier
edition (not sure if this was also by Arrow) with rather nice covers by
(I think) Bruce Pennington.

Best,
--                              II         |\      _,,,---,,_
Matt Freestone                  II    zzz. /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_.
matthew at matthewf.demon.co.uk    II        |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
www.matthewf.demon.co.uk/       II       '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)