Subject: (urth) Urth Digest, Vol 71, Issue 41

From: Tim O'Donnell <timodonn at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 14:38:39 +0000

Borski would approve

______

Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 08:19:09 -0400
From: John Watkins <john.watkins04 at gmail.com>
To: The Urth Mailing List <urth at lists.urth.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned
       by      Rudesind
Message-ID:
       <AANLkTilweydKi9Cl3zaFguG1CpjoFV9VBe5lBLOTzGHD at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Wait a minute now.  Severian goes out of his way to heal the girl in *Sword
of the Lictor*.  That was an unusual display of compassion/interest for
Severian, and we've only routinely seen him so interest in women for one
reason.  So Severian is himself Inire.
And healing a young girl who was head/near-dying is pretty much a direct
reference to the Talitha cumi incident.  So Severian is Inire and Jesus as
well.  And Lewis Carroll.  (Note--Talitha cumi, or Talitha cum*aean*?  The
pun is a bit too on-the-nose.  Maybe the Cumaean is also the girl Severian
raised, through time travel?  Sure, one's a girl and one's a...snaky thing,
but given the Tzadkiel precedent and the abundance of masks I feel this is a
valid possibility.)
Now, there was also an X-Files episode called Talitha Cumi, but unless Gene
himself is time-travelling (which I suppose we can't rule out, given
*Peace*)
I doubt it could have any connection to the Book of the New Sun, despite the
character who heals people miraculously, the concealed identities, the
hidden aliens, and the missing family members.  Actually, maybe I need to
check *Peace *out again...
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100706/5569665e/attachment.htm>

---

From: Jane Delawney <jane_delawney at sky.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 22:46:41 +0000

> Borski would approve
Which is either a a recommendation or a warning. have to say I find 
quite a number of Borski's interpretations more than somewhat fanciful. 
Was intending to ask about this on list but Tim got in there ahead of me 
- making me wonder if there might be a 'consensus' regarding Borski ... 
if he's on this list I have missed him, Ohai Robert if you're out there, 
I have read your stuff with huge amounts of interest but also some 
skepticism!

As usual modifying the header because if I don't I will not receive my 
post on list or otherwise, stoopid ISP :)

jd

> From: John Watkins<john.watkins04 at gmail.com>
> To: The Urth Mailing List<urth at lists.urth.net>
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100706/fc801e08/attachment-0001.htm>