Subject: (urth) Inire as a hirodule

From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 05:19:56 +0000

>Josh brunians- My appreciation for what you say cannot be expressed in words.
 
I agree. Antonio's posts seem truly sincere and heartfelt and thus are
appreciated for those rare qualities. I don't know if it helps to say I 
understand his feelings and sympathize. There have been many times in my life 
that someone else could see something I couldn't see. It is frustrating to 
be forced to wonder if that person is delusional or if I am just not being
perceptive. I have come to both conclusions at various different times.
 
I spent many years (perhaps too many to admit) re-reading this story at least
once a year. I always enjoyed it but I always felt I was missing something. I 
liked all the internal stories though the dream sequences mystified me. But I
felt there was supposed to be some way to connect fables about angels and 
roosters with plays about giants and demons and with stories mixing Greek
mythology with Rudyard Kipling and American History. I just wasn't smart
or learned enough to do it on my own. The internet has been a blessing.
 
I am reminded of various optical illusions like this one- 
 
http://pixdaus.com/pics/Bjfe1TvnXTeFYEe7We.jpg
 
Most initially see a perfectly enjoyable shadow depiction of nude lovers in a 
bottle, though perhaps sensing there is something odd about it. The artist
cryptically suggests there are dolphins involved. And with that clue, 
most can find the intrinsic dolphins swimming and frolicking, which shape
and form the larger picture.
 
My initial purpose on this list was to get help in finding the dolphins. I still
want that but I'm also willing to share the dolphins I've found with any who are
interested. I recognize both appreciation and derision as forms of interest.
 
Similarly to the Message D'amour Des Dauphins artist, I think Gene Wolfe 
inserted a Secret house within the BotNS on purpose for us to find. With that
view, how could it be a disservice to him to attempt to find it? Perhaps he 
never intended an internet audience to share ideas like this and each reader 
was supposed to figure it out for him/herself? If so, I think that is just unfair
because from what I've seen, either the average reader, like me, is too dumb to
figure it out on their own or Gene Wolfe is just too damn smart and doesn't 
realize it. 		 	   		  
_________________________________________________________________
The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3