Subject: (urth) _Stories_, "Leif in the Wind"

From: Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:17:38 +0000

I saw a book review of a new anthology of stories, called _Stories_,
which mentioned it had an entry from Wolfe.

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-All-New-Tales-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0061230928/

Very little coverage so far; the only reviews of Wolfe's story I found
in Google which were more than a line saying 'I liked/hated it' were

- http://www.bevvincent.com/2010/06/in-the-kitchen-with-a-lead-pipe/
- http://toruokada.livejournal.com/481127.html

-- 
gwern

---

From: Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 04:44:57 +0000

> - http://toruokada.livejournal.com/481127.html

A somewhat longer review: http://thisplacehere.livejournal.com/115920.html

     "Wolfe is one of the greats of science fiction, but I found this
story only averagely satisfying; it feels curiously old-fashioned to
me. The tale focuses on the three surviving members of a six-person
crew sent to explore an alien planet. One of the crew, Leif, is
outside the ship as we join the story, and apparently hallucinating.
On his return, Leif claims to have brought birds aboard ship with him;
his crewmates, Ena and Brennan, doubt him — but soon have reason to
question their assumptions.

     “Leif in the Wind”  revolves around the question of whether or
not Leif is actually hallucinating; there’s some ambiguity along the
way, but not enough, I don’t think, to sustain the story. And I don’t
really feel the claustrophobic atmosphere for which the tale seems to
be aiming.

     Rating: ***"

----

Also in Google Alerts was a nice review of Wolfe's essay
introducing/defending Tolkien, “The Best Introduction to the
Mountains”:

http://www.blackgate.com/2010/07/22/wolfe%E2%80%99s-lost-road-discovering-an-author%E2%80%99s-personal-essay-on-jrr-tolkien/

-- 
gwern