Subject: (urth) Fortunate Cloud

From: Mr Thalassocrat <thalassocrat08 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:12:49 +0000

(The name of Jonas' ship.) This may well have been pointed out a gadzillion
years ago, but I don't remember ever seeing it. Apparently a "lucky cloud"
is a very common traditional Chinese image. It was used extensively for the
Beijing Olympics: eg
http://colorbuzz.valsparblog.com/2008/08/the-lucky-cloud.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100712/e147caee/attachment.htm>

---

From: Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:26:29 +0000

It also fits with Jonas's description of names from his time which were similat to modern-day Chinese names.

OFC 'Jonas' is not very Chinese.

- Gerry Quinn

  From: Mr Thalassocrat 

  (The name of Jonas' ship.) This may well have been pointed out a gadzillion years ago, but I don't remember ever seeing it. Apparently a "lucky cloud" is a very common traditional Chinese image. It was used extensively for the Beijing Olympics: eg http://colorbuzz.valsparblog.com/2008/08/the-lucky-cloud.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100712/13b9e3e2/attachment-0001.htm>

---

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:17:46 +0000

> OFC 'Jonas' is not very Chinese.

It may be a misheard korean name.

---

From: Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:56:25 +0000

> It may be a misheard korean name.

Maybe... but it doesn't sound Korean to me either.

Or he might be JONAS... Janitorial, Office, and Navigational Assistance 
Servomechanism.

(BTW, I said Chinese, the place I actually associate the names Jonas 
referred to with is Singapore, not that I know very much about what people 
are actually called in either place.)

- Gerry Quinn

---

From: John Watkins <john.watkins04 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:59:11 +0000

Isn't one of the names "Kim Lee Soong"?

It's Korean.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:

> From: "Ant?nio Pedro Marques" <entonio at gmail.com>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100712/a8208b19/attachment.htm>

---

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:05:33 +0000

> Maybe... but it doesn't sound Korean to me either.

Well, I don't know korean, so...

---

From: John Watkins <john.watkins04 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:13:21 +0000

"Kim" is the most common family name in Korea.  If one wanted to pick an
iconic Korean name, it would be "Kim," with "Park" as the probable
runner-up.  It also means "gold," or rather is homonymous with the Korean
word for "gold."
Now, "Kim" is also a Chinese name, but the Chinese name is sometimes
Anglicized "Jin."  I'm not sure how many Korean names there are that have no
Chinese equivalent or cognate.

2010/7/12 Ant?nio Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100712/b6ab5305/attachment-0001.htm>