Subject: (urth) Severian and the corridor of time.

From: Jason Walker <jasonlancewalker at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 00:33:50 +0000

In Urth of the new Sun, Severian travel back through the corridor of time to
the ancient civilization and becomes Apu-Punchau.  He goes to that time
because that is the time when the new sun is created and cannot go back any
further his powers come from the new sun and cannot go back any further than
it was created. But then once he gets there he does not have any of his
powers and the Hierodules say that this is because the light from the New
Sun gives him his power and this light has not yet reached Urth. According
to this, he should only of been able to travel back to where the New Sun's
light has came to Urth.
I am missing something or do this not make any sense to anyone else as well.
Is the corridor of time outside of time/space and only needs the power from
the New Sun to access it, but then he should be able to travel to anytime he
wants, even before the new sun was created.
I am just looking at someone else's input on this.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100803/8be04160/attachment.htm>

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 01:09:46 +0000

> the New Sun to access it

We don't know for sure. The business about moving in a direction not seen
before suggests that movement om  higher spatial dimension is involved.
The power of the New Sun may not be needed in general, but it may be that
*Severian* needs the power of the White Fountain to achieve that movement.
All the other folks that travel the Corridors seem to do it in ways that
are light-related in some way (mirrors, reflective sails) or the travelers
themselves are light-related (the Green Man, the Hierdules presumably make
both the time-spanning saucers, the White Fountain, and the sun of Yesod),
except for Juturna, which is why I think she is secretly related to
Severian.

> but then he should be able to travel to anytime
> he

Once in the Corridors, he may be able to travel any distance on either
Fountain-power or human muscle power, and then step down into the normal
world of four dimensions. But without the White Fountain or a similar
power source to draw on, he can't go back up to the Corridors. It may be
that he decides to write URTH at all because with the White Fountain
contained, concealed, or even consumed by the new sun, he is stuck in the
early time centuries of Ushas , and is making the best of his forced
retirement from saviorhood.

---

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 01:24:16 +0000

Maybe he skidded past the exact point where the light reaches Urth, 
because he was going so fast.

Jeff Wilson wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
>
> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
> Virus Database (VPS): 100803-1, 08/03/2010
> Tested on: 8/3/2010 9:10:25 PM
> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2010 ALWIL Software.
> http://www.avast.com
>
>
>
>
>

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 03:39:37 +0000

Oooo, another JW!

.

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 15:34:35 +0000

> Oooo, another JW!

Maybe they're all Jehovah's Witnesses?

(Badabing)

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 15:38:10 +0000

I've considered the possibility.

Probably not.

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 15:38:20 +0000

Probably not.

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 15:39:22 +0000

The probability they are all David Stockhoff is higher than this, and also
quite low.

.

---

From: John Watkins <john.watkins04 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 16:01:12 +0000

I am not a Jehovah's Witness.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100804/a39d6a5c/attachment.htm>

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 16:03:12 +0000

Ah, but I notice you fail to deny that you are David Stockhoff...

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM, John Watkins <john.watkins04 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM, ?<brunians at brunians.org> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> Oooo, another JW!
>> >

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 16:19:13 +0000

All of the JW's except possibly the new one are pretty stupid.

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 16:19:36 +0000

Equally stupid.

.

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:10:56 +0000

> because he was going so fast.

Like a ship running aground, sure. His desperation of his existence as 
the destroyer of Urth may have given him some extra heedless speed until 
he overshoots the early end of the White Fountain's light and is 
deposited on the pampas early Incan or pre-Incan pampas.

-- 
Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:16:08 +0000

When was Severian ever desperate?

Why, Wilson, do you want Severian to be a weaker person than he is?

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:17:16 +0000

It's not like I'm going to come and cut your left testicle off with a knife.

I don't actually do that kind of thing.

It's done by doctors in hospitals these days.

.

---

From: Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:45:15 +0000

The probability of Josh being a JW split persona is going up the more I read.

Maybe JW stands for Jean Wolfe? Yuk yuk yuk.

...ryan

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:03:06 +0000

Perhaps Josh Geller is a pseudonymn of Gene Wolfe, or Samuel R Delawney or
Tim Powers or maybe Ishvara Farber.

.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:05:51 +0000

I will say that Josh Geller is in fact an pseudomnymn of one of these
folkses.

.

---

From: Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:31:15 +0000

who's that third name? or does that question answer itself?

...ryan

---

From: Rob Thornton <oblate777 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:38:13 +0000

Tim Powers? A fantasy and SF writer who is best known for The Anubis
Gates and whose book On Stranger Tides is being turned into a Pirates
of Caribbean movie.

Now I have no clue who Ishvara Farber is. Time for Google....

Rob

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:19:24 +0000

It may.

.

>>>> The probability of Josh being a JW split persona is going up the more
>>>> I
>>>> read.
>>>>

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:20:09 +0000

Also friend to PKD and me.

One of the best guys I know.

.

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:23:54 +0000

Yes, Tim is a real sweetheart.

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

---

From: Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:30:47 +0000

were you at readercon this year?

...ryan

---

From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:10:50 +0000

> Now I have no clue who Ishvara Farber is. Time for Google....

Audrey Farber?  Melanie Hayworth?  How about...Betty Jo Bialowski?

....oh, you mean Nancy.

I'll just sit here in the waiting room.