Subject: (urth) slowdown reminder

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <ranjit at moonmilk.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:24:15 +0000

Things are getting noisy on the urth list.  Please slow down!

I've asked (ok, required) certain users to take a break from posting.

- ranjit
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100804/f805d9e9/attachment.htm>

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:41:25 +0000

There will be no personal consequences for you for making this decision,
at least from my direction.

This does not, you understand, mean that there will not be any.

Good luck.

.

> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <ranjit at moonmilk.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 20:25:38 +0000

brunians wished to post the following:
---
I don't stay where I am not welcome.

I will not return to the urth list.

I am on facebook.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100804/1d023878/attachment-0001.htm>

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 20:28:17 +0000

I really appreciate that you posted that thing to the list for me.

Thank you very much.

When we meet, we will meet as friends.

.

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 20:36:04 +0000

On 8/4/2010 3:25 PM, Ranjit Bhatnagar wrote:
> I don't stay where I am not welcome. I will not return to the urth 
> list.I am on facebook.

As night following day, as the birth of the New Sun and the flooding of 
Urth, this was inevitable.

u+16b9

---

From: Jeff Meyers <jeffmeyers at me.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 15:53:38 +0000

> I've asked (ok, required) certain users to take a break from posting.  

Thank you.

---

From: Fred Kiesche <godelescherbach at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:34:10 +0000

Is there some reason that the same (as far as I can tell) message threads
are getting split again and again--same subject line, but gmail splits them.

Makes the list "noisier looking" than it probably is (for me).

-- 
F.P. Kiesche III  "Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book. Always,
scribble, scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on being
presented with Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.)
Blogging at The Lensman's Children (
http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100809/ee107c8a/attachment.htm>

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:22:40 +0000

> are getting split again and again--same subject line, but gmail splits
them.

It is because some people's posts (Lee Berman), even when responding to an
existing thread, are sent to the List as if they were new threads with a new
subject line. That's why Lee's posts don't have the usual "Re:" at the
beginning of the subject line. I don't know why he does that. Maybe he has
the same problem that Jane Delawney has, that her mail server will not send
her a copy of her own posts unless she starts a new thread. I have had the
same problem she has since my mail server, though my email address does not
reflect it, became a bastardized form of gmail two years ago. I get around
the problem by just copying a copy of of my response post to the folder in
which I keep the other List posts, in the place where it would be if things
worked right.

-Roy

---

From: Jane Delawney <jane_delawney at sky.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:25:03 +0000

Yes, the stuff about mailservers is all true - hadn't previously grokked 
it as a common factor, but *Sky Mail has also been a bastardized version 
of gmail* for about the last 3 years. So it's THEIR fault all along.

jd

On 09/08/10 19:22, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
>> are getting split again and again--same subject line, but gmail splits
>>      
> them.
>