Subject: (urth) Stuff to read...

From: Dan'l Danehy Oakes <ddanehyo at us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 07:46:45 +0000

J.Shultz wrote: 
 
> Speaking of this, anyone have any suggestions for further reading. 
 
Further than what?  8*) 
 
You might check out the recent discussion of a "syllabus" for 
an introductory BotNS class.  There's been a lot of good stuff 
mentioned there (and some real trash). 

> I'm hungry for a good story and I can get lost in a bookstore for 
> hours without ever making a decision.  Any help in the right 
> direction would be appreciated. 
 
Hoom.  Well, there are a few SF writers out there with literary 
aspirations and executions as high as Wolfe, or nearly so:  Dan 
Simmons comes to mind, as does Samuel R. Delany.  Ursula K. Le Guin 
-- though she seems less likely to appeal to a Wolfe fan.  Tim 
Powers is not quite as good, but packs a lot of layers of meaning 
into his work anyway. 
 
A few individual books I've read lately that I can recommend:  Matt 
Ruff's "Sewer, Gas, and Electric," which is almost impossible to 
describe.  A computerized ghost of Ayn Rand is a major character; 
so is a giant flying shark.  If that doesn't grab you, forget it, 
the book's not for you.  If it does -- the book is a major hoot. 
 
Say:  what ever happened to the idea of "Wolfe" and "Lupine" 
lists... 
 
-- Roach 

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/