Subject: (urth) Autarchial Embellishments Collected

From: Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:40:40 +0000

I thought it would be a fun exercise, and so I have collected all off the formulaic embellishments various characters have used to refer to the Autarch over the course of The Book of the New Sun, in chronological order. It's worth noting that Jolenta tops the list with five mentions. Here you go...

..

"The Autarch...

"... whose forbearance knows not walls nor sea."
(Gurloes)

"... whose every deed is sweeter than honey in the mouths of this honorable guild."
(Gurloes)

"... whose pores outshine the stars themselves."
(Jolenta)

"... whose perspiration is the gold of his subjects."
(Jolenta)

"... may he endure to see the New Sun."
(Jolenta)

"... whose hands run with gold and whose enemies kiss his heel."
(Innkeep of Saltus)

"... whose thoughts are the music of his subjects."
(Alcalde)

"... whose name be thrice-blessed balm upon the scorched brows of his slaves.
(Agia posing as Thecla)

"... whose urine is the wine of his subjects."
(Hethor)

"... whose dreams are our reality."
(Jolenta)

"... whose pores outshine the stars themselves."
(Jolenta)

"... whose justice is the bread of his subjects."
(Severian)

"... whose health is the happiness of his subjects."
(Dr. Talos)

"... [whose] mercy extends from sun to Sun."
(Master Palaemon)

..

...ryan
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100907/fb678d27/attachment.htm>

---

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 02:25:00 +0000

one quite works; they are ludicrous.

Each one perfectly matches its user.

On 9/7/2010 5:40 PM, Ryan Dunn wrote:
> I thought it would be a fun exercise, and so I have collected all off 
> the formulaic embellishments various characters have used to refer to 
> the Autarch over the course of The Book of the New Sun, in 
> chronological order. It's worth noting that Jolenta tops the list with 
> five mentions. Here you go...
>
> ..
>
> "The Autarch...
>
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
>
>
>
> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
> Virus Database (VPS): 100907-1, 09/07/2010
> Tested on: 9/7/2010 10:07:41 PM
> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2010 ALWIL Software.
> http://www.avast.com
>
>
>
>

---

From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 02:52:31 +0000

> "... whose urine is the wine of his subjects."

Man, leave it to Hethor, huh?

Adam
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20100907/7ada8974/attachment.htm>

---

From: Jane Delawney <jane_delawney at sky.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 23:58:55 +0000

Just for fun also, why not also compare and contrast this list with the 
effusions of Fr. Inire in his first letter to newly-minted Autarch 
Severian - I think these trump even Jolenta's somewhat tacky hyperbole 
(Hethor's is far more tacky I'd admit, but then he's a paid-up enemy of 
the New Sun and also a total perv, can we ignore him for the moment?)

Inire addresses Sev as follows:

"His servant Inire hails the bridegroom of the Urth

[I think this is the only point in the entire Work where the planet is 
referred to as 'the Urth' rather than just 'Urth'. No idea of the 
significance of this. However the Bridegroom metaphor is borrowed 
directly from the New Testament; aside from references in several 
parables, in the Book of Revelation the New Jerusalem is the Bride, and 
Christ Himself is Bridegroom.]

"Master of Nessus and the House Absolute

[Well yes of course; along with the throne, Sev has inherited the words 
of mastery from his predecessor]

"Chief of his Race

[Here Inire apparently recognises Severian in advance as the Epitome, 
though we don't know whether he uses the phrase as a courtesy title or 
whether, as a Hierodule, he truly has advance knowledge of Severian's 
destiny]

"Gold of his people, Messenger of Dawn

[The name of the renewed Urth, Ushas, is that of the Hindu Goddess of 
Dawn, Ushas; and in view of what transpires, Severian is truly Her 
messenger. And the 'Gold' metaphor echoes one of Jolenta's effusions, 
unfortunately one of the tackier ones!]

"Helios

[Greek Sun God name, Severian as Apollo]

"Hyperion

[In Greek mythology, the son of Gaia and Ouranos; also referred to in 
mythology as Helios-Hyperion, the High One of the Sun. Homeric writings 
refer to a Helios Hyperionoides - the Sun, Son of Hyperion. All entirely 
appropriate for the New Sun.]

"Surya

[Hindu sun/weather-god; his symbol is the thunderbolt (vajra - dorje in 
Tibetan usage). This god-name is also the linguistic cognate of the 
Scandinavian Thor / eastern European Perun - not inappropriate given our 
Sev's later-proven ability to quieten the storm. Jesus on the Sea of 
Galilee also exhibits Thor-like capabilities]

"Savitar

[The name of  a Vedic solar deity, interestingly in the context of 
BOTNS, in the Vedic hymns He is a beneficent Deity and as He extends His 
arms, the Dawn - Ushas - extends Her light.]

"and Autarch!"

well of course :)

JD