Subject: (urth) Inhumi and devils

From: Andrew Mason <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:52:27 +0000

James Wynn wrote:
>
> A daemon, note the spelling, is merely a disembodied spirit. Inhumi
> contain the spirits of others, living and dead. Mucor, at times, meets
> this criteria. Also, an important theme is in the book is that if a
> demon imitates a god, he becomes, in some sense, a god. Quetzal becomes
> a holy man, sacrificing his life for his flock. Horn becomes Silk.
> Inhumi become, in a metaphysical sense, Horn's son and Silk's sister.

OK, so there's a thematic similarity between inhumi and devils, which
makes it appropriate that Pike called them that. But if I am reading
you rightly, the inhumi as Pike knows them - creatures which fly in
through windows and suck blood - don't possess people; rather they are
themselves in a sense possessed by the spirits of others whom they
have absorbed. (Bear in mind I haven't read _Short Sun_ yet, so don't
know the details.)  I still think it's unlikely the chrasmologic
writers has inhumi in mind.

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 19:30:57 +0000

> Andrew Mason-
> have absorbed. (Bear in mind I haven't read_Short Sun_  yet, so don't

Well, the inhumi are "demonic" but the C. writings are an accumulation 
of mythology, the Odyssey, the Gospels, Islamic tradition, and other 
writings. So, I agree that it is unnecessary to ascribe inhumi as the 
original source of demons. They merely fit the Type.

u+16b9