Subject: (urth) Winnoc

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 18:22:08 +0000

>I don't find the first error odd at all.  Palaemon, who is sending
>Severian into exile, is naturally reminded of his own exile.  Severian
>is heading upriver, but old Palaemon is confusing it with his own
>journey downriver to the coast.  Winnoc, you recall, was "planning to
>sign aboard a certain ship" when he got an offer from the Pelerines.
>Winnoc was still in his hometown, where Palaemon presumably beat him,
>since he made a side trip to visit his mother before leaving.
>
>Palaemon also gets in a sly evasion in this chapter.  He states that
>guild members have been dispatched before, "though whether those were
>such cases as this the chronicles do not say."  He doesn't tell
>Severian that he doesn't know; he just reports what "the chronicles"
>have to say!

Totally agree with raster here. I've just reread the Winnoc scene (a nice
scene), and the connection is perfectly clear. The evasion is a clever catch
though! Well done!

-alga-

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:36:57 +0000

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

I've also found St. Winnoc (or Winoc) of Wormhoult.  He died in 717. 
He is the patron of millers.  He has a Breton name, too, and it is
also found in forms Wenoc, Wennog, Winneg, Gwinnoc, Gweneg, Gwezheneg,
and about anything else like this.  St. Wenoc might have existed, too,
but there is nothing known about him.

prion

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com