Subject: (urth) Suzanne Delage: another view

From: Mo Holkar <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:02:42 +0000

Hi all,

Coincidentally, just after the recent talk about 'Suzanne Delage', I 
came across the Chekhov short story 'The Beauties', which I wasn't 
previously familiar with. The text is here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/ac/beauties.htm

In summary: the unnamed narrator encounters a very beautiful girl; 
some time later, he encounters another very beautiful girl. The story 
is almost completely devoid of incident, and (to me) has the same 
slightly dreamlike tone as 'Suzanne Delage'.

I don't know if much has been said about any influence of Chekhov on 
Wolfe: I couldn't find anything on this list's archives, anyway. But 
it seems likely that, Wolfe being Wolfe, he would be well versed in 
the writing of the master of the modern short story.

best wishes,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki -- a wiki about Gene Wolfe
http://www.wolfewiki.com/pmwiki/