Subject: (urth) Another exile?

From: Charles Dye <raster at highfiber.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 08:50:00 +0000

"Alice Turner" <al at interport.net> writes:
>
>>Palaemon also gets in a sly evasion in this chapter.  He states that
>>guild members have been dispatched before, "though whether those were
>>such cases as this the chronicles do not say."  He doesn't tell
>>Severian that he doesn't know; he just reports what "the chronicles"
>>have to say!

>Totally agree with raster here. I've just reread the Winnoc scene (a nice
>scene), and the connection is perfectly clear. The evasion is a clever catch
>though! Well done!

Thanks.  But after posting it, I realized that I should have supplied a
candidate for the *other* exile from the torturer's Guild.  My guess is
that Palaemon wouldn't have known any details about that earlier outcast
except from old chronicles.  "Disguising himself, he ventured into the
countryside, where he spied a muni meditating beneath a plane tree ...."

raster at highfiber.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/