Subject: (urth) Publishers Weekly on Home Fires (mild spoilers)

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 15:47:03 +0000

/*Home Fires by Gene Wolfe */

/From Publishers Weekly: "Against a backdrop of science fictional 
elements such as time dilation through space travel, cyborgs, and brain 
downloads, Science Fiction Hall of Fame inductee Wolfe (The Sorcerer's 
House) builds a romance and a mystery. Successful lawyer Skip Grison 
wants to find a wonderful gift for his contracted paramour, Chelle Blue, 
now 20 years his junior after an interstellar military tour. *After 
reuniting Chelle with her estranged mother, Vanessa, whose consciousness 
has been downloaded into a new body*, Skip takes Chelle on a 
round-the-world cruise that turns into an almost screwball comedy of 
hijackings and chaos as shadowy people may be trying to get to Skip, 
Chelle, Vanessa, or someone else entirely. Red herrings and unknown, 
mistaken, or confused identities saturate the novel, making this well 
suited for readers, especially mystery readers, who don't often read 
science fiction."
/

---------------------

Does it seem to anyone else that Cory Doctorow is Wolfe's favorite 
author right now?

u+16b9

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20101217/5b7de171/attachment-0001.htm>

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:17:23 +0000

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 7:47 AM, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://undermyappletree.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/friday-finds-december-17th/

> Does it seem to anyone else that Cory Doctorow is Wolfe's favorite author
> right now?

Actually I would think first of Charles Stross. Have you read _Accelerando_?

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:55:42 +0000

>> James Wynn-
> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes-

Hmm...no. Do you recommend it?
But _An Evil Guest_ folded in Doctorow's mountain and washing machine 
married couple from _Someone Comes To Town, Someone Leaves_ and --while 
the concept of downloading backups in to new bodies is not unique-- this 
bit does bring to mind _Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom_.

u+16b9

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:03:28 +0000

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 8:55 AM, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:
\>> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes-

> Hmm...no. Do you recommend it?

Highly, and you can download it legally. It's a family saga set in and
around a Singularity.

> married couple from _Someone Comes To Town, Someone Leaves_ and --while the
> concept of downloading backups in to new bodies is not unique-- this bit
> does bring to mind _Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom_.

Which I have totally blonked out. I read it but didn't think much of it.

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes