Subject: (urth) How much of a fake IS the green man?

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:39:44 +0000

Jerry Friedman wrote:

> Do we know that the green people or their creators share the Author's views
> of respect toward the Creator?

Do we even know that there are "green people?" We only see one, and
have to take the word of a self-confessed liar that he is one of a
race of green people.

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

---

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:07:30 +0000

> From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>

> have to take the word of a self-confessed liar that he is one of  a

"'They caught a green man, do you know that?  Got him right over there
where you see the tent.  Green men know everything, people say, if you
can but make them talk.'"

TCotC Ch. III.  To argue that there's no race of green people, I suppose
you could say that the creators of the green man took advantage of a
superstition (which could even be based on a prophecy of the New Sun),
or that the old woman is repeating a rumor that started as the showman's
advertising.  Or maybe other possibilities that I'm missing.

Jerry Friedman

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:50:23 +0000

> have to take the word of a self-confessed liar that he is one of a

No only his word; the tea seller at Saltus Fair says, "'They caught a 
green man, do you know that? Got him right over there where you see the 
tent. Green men know everything, people say, if you can but make them 
talk.'"

Of course, this could be merely hearsay circulated by the exhibitor for 
the occasion. :)

-- 
Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
Computational Intelligence Laboratory - Texas A&M Texarkana
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >