Subject: (urth) Ymar

From: Andrew Mason <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 20:54:14 +0000

Gerry Quinn wrote:

 ?In BotNS, (unless you include Frog!) there is no
> indication that Ymar was the first Autarch, or was contemporaneous with
> Typhon. ?Nor does his contemporeity with Typhon seem to inform us of
> anything; indeed I personally think it hurts the story in some ways.

More than that:it seems actually inconsistent with some things in the
text. In connection with the antechamber, we are told that _before
Ymar_ the autarch himself used to judge crimes committed in the
grounds of the House Absolute. Malrubius says that Ymar was the _last_
Autarch, before Severian's predecessor, to take the test. (Technically
'last' can include 'only', but it would be very deceptive. Possibly
Malrubius is deceptive, but I see no reason for him to deceive about
that.)

Also, Typhon seems to be dated several  chiliads earlier, by
Severian's remark about the Conciliator, that he disappeared several
chiliads ago, and by Cyriaca's story - I think she says that the book,
which mentions Typhon, is itself several chiliads old. Also by the
time it would take to shape all the mountains into figures of
Autarchs. Ymar, I think, isn't dated in the text,but in an interview
given at the time Wolfe put him just a chiliad before Severian - where
in the now canonical dating Typhon seems to be as well, causing much
confusion.

Besides that, there's the fact that Ymar is a known historical figure,
whereas Typhon is forgotten.

?I
> suspect that Wolfe, after he had started on UotNS, decided it would be
> 'lame' for Severian not to meet Ymar, and wrote it in then.

I think it may be a bit more than that. Very likely, Wolfe already
knew that Ymar had been a torturer, which is why he reformed the guild
- thus prefiguring Severian's own life. Palaemon says two torturers
had previously left the guild to take up appointments elsewhere; he
himself turns out to be one; who is the other? Very possibly Ymar. But
this is one of the things that is not made clear enough in BOTNS, and
therefore Wolfe brings Ymar into _Urth_ to clarify the matter.

---

From: Sergei SOLOVIEV <soloviev at irit.fr>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 21:16:53 +0000

Chronology of Urth seems to me extremely interesting. To add to our 
discussion some
more elements/questions:

Silk/Horn "spirits" travel to Urth when Severian is an apprentice. 
Apparently the interval
between their visits on Urth is the same as on Blue, so they came the same
year.  First time, when they are with
Rigoglio, they discuss how much time passed between the departure of 
Whorl and
their visit. Rigoglio was put on the Whorl by Typhon, and the date may 
be very precise -
it is the last year of Typhon rule. There is a traveler who says how 
much dead part
of the city moves during one generation (about one block US sense). 
There is several
leagues between the street where the house of Rigoglio stood and the 
fringe of Nessus.
For the Whorl only 300 years passed, but we understand that it was 
relativistic
"shrinking of time". So it is maybe several hundreds of generations, but 
not much more
if the speed of the city fringe remained constant.

Best

Sergei

Andrew Mason wrote:
> Gerry Quinn wrote:
>
>   In BotNS, (unless you include Frog!) there is no
>   
>> Typhon.  Nor does his contemporeity with Typhon seem to inform us of
>  I
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 21:39:28 +0000

From: "Andrew Mason" <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>

> whereas Typhon is forgotten.

Very good points.  I knew there was something wrong with Ymar being a 
contemporary of Typhon, but I couldn't put my finger on what exactly.

- Gerry Quinn

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 22:34:06 +0000

>> Except that his name, "Spring Wind", makes no sense as a designation for
>> Mars.
> Andrew Mason:
> It makes perfect sense to me. 'March winds' is a well-established
> phrase, enshrined  in  a nursery rhyme.

You make a convincing argument that 'Spring Wind' makes a fine 
designation for 'March'. But not for Mars. Let me again stipulate the 
pattern set for the other characters from the ancestry of Romulus:

* Early Summer = June = Juno [ding!] (Although this betrays a naivety in 
thinking Juno was originally a season, each name is a reasonable 
translation of either of the others.)

* Bird of the Woods =  Rhea Silvia (same thing) [ding!]

* Spring Wind = March Winds = March = Mars [buzzer sound]

The West wind 'Zephyr' blows in the Spring but he is not equivalent to 
Mars. That's not even a flat note. It's like a duck quacking in the 
middle of the Moonlight Sonata.

> Andrew Mason:
> Malrubius says that Ymar was the _last_

What's deceptive about that? 'Last' can mean 'at the end of a chain' but 
it also means merely 'just previously'. For instance, if there were fire 
in our workplace and I said 'The last time there was a fire in this 
office..." it is unlikely you would PRESUME that I meant the last of a 
_series_ of fires. Even when I first read this, I don't recall drawing 
the implication that you do here.

> confusion. Besides that, there's the fact that Ymar is a known historical figure,

I wonder whether anyone but Mantis has seen that interview, but I'll 
accept his reading. Considering the  consternation caused the 
discrepancies between Wolfe's statement (treated as canonical by Lexicon 
Urthus) and the text of SotL/UotNS, it would have been interesting if 
someone had asked him how long ago Typhon lived. But what's done is done.

At least we agree there is no conflict in the TEXT. Severian doesn't 
know how long ago the Conciliator lived (that's evident from his answer 
to Typhon), but there is no reason to believe he knows how long ago Ymar 
lived either. Everything before Ymar seems to be a mystery to Severian 
who is barely a man. He doesn't display a lot of knowledge about any 
autarchs AFTER Ymar either. What struck me as most unlikely was that 
Typhon would be forgotten at all considering he was the ruler over the 
Commonwealth (and the rest of the planet) at the time of the 
Conciliator. And again this might speak of Severian's lack of religious 
instruction (the equivalent of not knowing who Herod Antipas was). Based 
_positive_ evidence (that is, evidence we have rather than evidence we 
think we should have), it seems that after the Commonwealth was formed 
and the alien powers divided up the rest of the world, nobody received 
much instruction in what came before.

That there are lots of mountain carved? It took six years to carve Mount 
Rushmore using 1930s technology.

Honestly, having Severian encounter Ymar in Typhon's time never caused 
me to blink an eye, but then I wasn't aware of the interview at the time 
either. Still, reading the story of Frog with my more recent 
interpretation, I probably would have expected Ymar to appear well-after 
Typhon's time since he and Fish floated down a 'stream'. On the other 
hand...hmmmm.

Checking my copy of LU v2, I see that Mantis also considers Frog to be 
an historical figure although we disagree about when he lived.

J.

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 22:38:17 +0000

The chronology based on the Rajan's spirit-travel is pretty dicey. The 
Rajan is a Time traveler, and if you consider pay attention to when Horn 
left home, and how long ago Hoof and Hide left, it is clear that the 
Rajan has been jumping around alot.

On 5/25/2011 4:16 PM, Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote:
> "shrinking of time". So it is maybe several hundreds of generations, 
> but not much more

---

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 11:16:15 +0000

I find the chronology overall very confusing but I'm certain it is just as GW intended it, because he didn't have any gun to his head not to make it correct. 

- Ymar both sounds and doesn't sound like the first autarch - though just as Typhon refers to himself as autarch, commonwealthers may have applied the term to any earlier ruler. 

- Typhon shouldn't have been forgotten, even if his rise and fall were meteoric - cf Alexander -, could memory of him have been deliberately suppressed? And yet they'd leave him around in his mountain?
  
- How come Cilinia's remains are still in order after so much time, be it a thousand years or 2k?

- How come Scylla sounds so childish in comparison to Tartaros if she was older and they were scanned at the same time?

These and many more could all be GW's inconsistencies, but why would he be inconsistent when it would cost him nothing not to be?

No, I don't think he would introduce brutal incoherence into latter works just because it would be cool to have this or that episode happen. And I don't find the 'it's all different universes' theory satisfying.

---

From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 13:08:03 +0000

>Antonio Pedro Marques: I find the chronology overall very confusing but I'm certain 
>it is just as GW intended it, because he didn't have any gun to his head not to make 
>it correct....No, I don't think he would introduce brutal incoherence into latter works 
>just because it would be cool to have this or that episode happen. And I don't find the 
>'it's all different universes' theory satisfying.
 
I certainly don't like a "multi-verse" explanation for inconsistencies either. But given
the Ymar-Typhon inconsistencies and some other stuff, I'm guessing Wolfe was willing to put
an inconsistency or two into the story if the narrative gain was deemed sufficient. Who
really understands the twists and turns of time travel anyway?
 
I admit that mapping timelines is of far less interest to me than to many other Wolfe fans.
To borrow a Gerry line, I'd rather just read the story Gene Wolfe wrote. But I am glad
some people take the trouble to do it. It can be helpful. But I am willing to accept that
some story elements won't jibe perfectly with others.
 
>How come Scylla sounds so childish in comparison to Tartaros if she was older and they were 
>scanned at the same time?
 
As the girl with snake-arms on the ship in RttW? Or when Scylla possesses Chenille in LotLS? I think 
in Chenille she sounds like a haughty young woman, roughly of Chenille's age. She certainly 
doesn't sound as young as Cilinia to me. Tartaros does sound older, wiser and world-weary. Maybe, 
even in scanned form, he has experienced more pain and sorrow than Scylla. Perhaps one can mature 
as a computer program?

I think somewhere it is mentioned that Scylla had her own planet to rule before being put
into Mainframe. Then we have the monstrous view of Great Scylla at the end of RttW. Typhon's
family is clearly not (like Mr. Million) destroyed by the process of scanning. Cilinia may
have died as a child but parts of her seem to have lived on to pursue different futures on
the Whorl and on Urth.

---

From: Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:12:57 +0000

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>
>>Antonio Pedro Marques:

>>I find the chronology overall very confusing but I'm certain

The incoherence of introducing Ymar is not all that brutal if one does not 
try to closely analyse the story as a realistic history.  Perhaps Wolfe 
underestimated how hard readers would pluck at the threads.  The Ymar 
episode is a cool story, and it may be that Wolfe thought its coolness would 
outweigh the questions raised by the quick succession of Ymar.  Or perhaps 
he felt that the rapid succession of Ymar was plausible.  After all, it 
might not have been all that rapid.  Perhaps Ymar only attained the Autarchy 
in his fifties, after decades of chaos.

> some story elements won't jibe perfectly with others.

By that line I did not mean to mock your intelligence.  But ideas like 
"Ceryx is Inire" do read to me like notions that are transplanted from some 
completely other book.  Ceryx is a clearly human necromancer who appears 
briefly to challenge Severian the Conciliator in UotNS.  At the end of the 
chapter he appears in, he is killed by a mob.  Inire is a clearly alien 
vizier who works for many autarchs including Severian at a later time; he is 
overtly present only in BotNS and while he presumably knows many 
magics/technologies, he is not observed to delve in necromancy. When Wolfe 
wrote Inire, we can be certain that Ceryx was not in his mind, or it would 
truly have been a different book!  Really, an idea like this needs a lot of 
justification.  Instead, it comes in the very next paragraph after a theory 
that the Cumaean is Ymar's never-mentioned twin sister is refuted!

> even in scanned form, he has experienced more pain and sorrow than Scylla. 

That is a strange point about Scylla, certainly.  In her Window she appears 
as a young girl on the cusp of womanhood, and Tartaros tells us that the 
gods appear to us as they see themselves.  I lean to the view that Tartaros 
matured, while Scylla did not, before or after scanning, or both.

I don't see why one should not mature as a computer program.  Most of 
Wolfe's computerised people are embodied in humanoid androids of some kind, 
and I think there is considerable evidence that they are similar to people 
in most ways including the ability to change.  It is probably more difficult 
for disembodied programs, and also for god-like rulers, and Scylla and 
Tartaros were both - but I would not say it is impossible.

- Gerry Quinn

---

From: Sergei SOLOVIEV <soloviev at irit.fr>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:31:50 +0000

Ymar had contacts with Yesod and hierogrammates - he could very well be 
taken
forward in time before he become an autarch? Or after his visit to Yesod?

As to Typhon - he was a ruler of the whole Urth, and the last who ruled 
it all.
Even if it was called Commonwealth, it was another state. He was overthrown
in a mass rebellion. If we take the empires in our own recent past - 
destroyed
by social movements, revolutions etc. - and new states born, seldom
the history of the Empire is studied, rather rejected (except maybe in 
the state that feels itself
its successor). Take British Empire, queen Victoria and India. Or 
Austro-Hungarian
Empire - its history is studied in Austria but not much by Tcheks or 
Hungarians.
Who was their last Emperor? Do you remember?

Best

Sergei

Gerry Quinn wrote:
> The incoherence of introducing Ymar is not all that brutal if one does 
> not try to closely analyse the story as a realistic history. Perhaps 
> Wolfe underestimated how hard readers would pluck at the threads. The 
> Ymar episode is a cool story, and it may be that Wolfe thought its 
> coolness would outweigh the questions raised by the quick succession 
> of Ymar. Or perhaps he felt that the rapid succession of Ymar was 
> plausible. After all, it might not have been all that rapid. Perhaps 
> Ymar only attained the Autarchy in his fifties, after decades of chaos.
>
>
> "Ceryx is Inire" do read to me like notions that are transplanted from 
> some completely other book. Ceryx is a clearly human necromancer who 
> appears briefly to challenge Severian the Conciliator in UotNS. At the 
> end of the chapter he appears in, he is killed by a mob. Inire is a 
> clearly alien vizier who works for many autarchs including Severian at 
> a later time; he is overtly present only in BotNS and while he 
> presumably knows many magics/technologies, he is not observed to delve 
> in necromancy. When Wolfe wrote Inire, we can be certain that Ceryx 
> was not in his mind, or it would truly have been a different book! 
> Really, an idea like this needs a lot of justification. Instead, it 
> comes in the very next paragraph after a theory that the Cumaean is 
> Ymar's never-mentioned twin sister is refuted!
>
>
> That is a strange point about Scylla, certainly. In her Window she 
> appears as a young girl on the cusp of womanhood, and Tartaros tells 
> us that the gods appear to us as they see themselves. I lean to the 
> view that Tartaros matured, while Scylla did not, before or after 
> scanning, or both.
>
> Wolfe's computerised people are embodied in humanoid androids of some 
> kind, and I think there is considerable evidence that they are similar 
> to people in most ways including the ability to change. It is probably 
> more difficult for disembodied programs, and also for god-like rulers, 
> and Scylla and Tartaros were both - but I would not say it is impossible.
>
> - Gerry Quinn
>
>
>

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:38:42 +0000

> Gerry:
> Wolfe underestimated how hard readers would pluck at the threads. 

I think the problem is Wolfe's answer to the Ymar date question in an 
interview. I suspect he was probably too flippant in giving an answer. I 
doubt he had thought carefully how long it had been since Typhon/Ymar 
autarch (just as --over time, based on interview answers-- the length of 
Time between Severian and Neil Armstrong adjusted in his mind). 
Additionally, we must remember that no one here (who has said so) has 
seen the text of that interview in question. If Mantis has a copy of the 
Thrust issue in question, he has never posted the precise context. He 
might have been working from memory himself.

> The Ymar episode is a cool story, and it may be that Wolfe thought its 

I presumed this was true. And the story of Frog certainly leaves that 
open. Certainly there is a tribulation period between Typhon's 'death' 
and Ymar's rise from the Guild. He's too young otherwise when Severian 
meets him, and he has yet done all the things in the Story of Frog.

>> as a computer program? That is a strange point about Scylla, 
>> certainly.  In her Window she appears as a young girl on the cusp of 
>> womanhood, and Tartaros tells us that the gods appear to us as they 
>> see themselves.  I lean to the view that Tartaros matured, while 
>> Scylla did not, before or after scanning, or both. I don't see why 
>> one should not mature as a computer program.  Most of Wolfe's 
>> computerised people are embodied in humanoid androids of some kind, 
>> and I think there is considerable evidence that they are similar to 
>> people in most ways including the ability to change.  It is probably 
>> more difficult for disembodied programs, and also for god-like 
>> rulers, and Scylla and Tartaros were both - but I would not say it is 
>> impossible.

Right (mostly). As Kypris-in-Chenille said, every time a Whorl god 
possesses a person and is reincorporated, it takes with it something 
from that person. The gods we meet are Typhon's family after centuries 
of this process. We assume that as a person "matures" they become nicer 
and wiser. Sometimes this happens but often (maybe usually) they become 
more extended versions of themselves. And who the gods are inclined to 
possess will determine their evolution as well.

I've mentioned before that during a Wolfe Q&A panel someone said "After 
all, Typhon was sort of on the Whorl as Pas..."
Wolfe quickly jumped in to correct him, "No! Typhon _was_ on the Whorl 
as Pas." In Wolfe's mind, these scans of their personalities _are_ 
duplicates of the originals -- even if, after tinkering and Time, they 
change in different ways.

As, in the Gaiman novel 'American Gods', Norway Odin told Shadow about 
American Odin "He was me, but I am not him."

J.

---

From: Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:45:43 +0000

On May 26, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> Perhaps Wolfe underestimated how hard readers would pluck at the threads.

I'm really not sure if there exists a more succinct summarization of the legend of Wolfe than in the above quotation. I also bet you would get an agreement from Mr. Wolfe himself on this point.

Thanks, Gerry.

...ryan

---

From: DAVID STOCKHOFF <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:56:57 +0000

Rudolf?

--- On Thu, 5/26/11, Sergei SOLOVIEV <soloviev at irit.fr> wrote:

> From: Sergei SOLOVIEV <soloviev at irit.fr>
> Subject: Re: (urth) Chronology
> To: "The Urth Mailing List" <urth at lists.urth.net>, urth at urth.net
> Date: Thursday, May 26, 2011, 11:31 AM
If we take the empires in our own
> recent past - destroyed
> the history of the Empire is studied, rather rejected
> (except maybe in the state that feels itself
> its successor). Take British Empire, queen Victoria and
> India. Or Austro-Hungarian
> Empire - its history is studied in Austria but not much by
> Tcheks or Hungarians.

---

From: Sergei SOLOVIEV <soloviev at irit.fr>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 16:20:18 +0000

*Charles I* (/Karl Franz Joseph Ludwig Hubert Georg Otto Marie von 
Habsburg-Lothringen/, English 
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language>: /Charles Francis Joseph 
Louis Hubert George Otto Mary of Habsburg-Lorraine/, /Hungarian/: *IV. 
K?roly* or /K?roly Ferenc J?zsef/, /Italian/: Carlo Francesco Ludovico 
Giorgio Ottone Maria d'Asburgo Lorena, Polish 
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_language>: /Karol Franciszek J?zef 
Ludwik Hubert Jerzy Otto Maria Habsbursko-Lotary?ski/, Ukrainian 
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language>: /???? ? ????? ?????/) 
(17 August 1887 — 1 April 1922) was (among other titles) the last ruler 
of the Austro-Hungarian Empire 
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria-Hungary>.

Sergei

---

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 17:21:18 +0000

No dia 26/05/2011, ?s 16:45, Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com> escreveu:
> I'm really not sure if there exists a more succinct summarization of the legend of Wolfe than in the above quotation.

I don't like it. I think it's true, but that it applies to more contrived speculation. Then the problem is that each one will have their idea of what's contrived, rightfully or not.

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 17:34:48 +0000

> - Ymar both sounds and doesn't sound like the first autarch - though just as Typhon refers to himself as autarch, commonwealthers may have applied the term to any earlier ruler.

Right on - "autarch" is understood to mean the ruler in charge of a 
nation - so it gets used for any number of nation rulers, who weren't 
necessarily THE Autarch, or called themselves that at the time. Like the 
current interchangeability of king and pharaoh.

> - Typhon shouldn't have been forgotten, even if his rise and fall were meteoric - cf Alexander -, could memory of him have been deliberately suppressed? And yet they'd leave him around in his mount…

It was a pretty remote mountain, and the giant robots still animate in 
Severian's day may have kept people at a respectful distance in earlier, 
livelier centuries. By the time of their decrepitude, it was just one 
more carved mountain among many.

-- 
Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
Computational Intelligence Laboratory - Texas A&M Texarkana
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 17:36:55 +0000

> I don't like it. I think it's true, but that it applies to more contrived speculation. Then the problem is that each one will have their idea of what's contrived, rightfully or not.

"I do not like it. There are too many notes."

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

---

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 17:55:35 +0000

Good heavens, no. Everybody knows it was Karl. 

But we're not talking about the ephemeral last ruler of a long standing empire. We're talking about a major conqueror who founded an ephemeral empire.

---

From: Andrew Mason <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 19:48:20 +0000

James Wynn wrote:

> * Bird of the Woods = ?Rhea Silvia (same thing) [ding!]
>

I'm not sure why June is OK for Juno, but March is not OK for Mars.
(We're asking what a redactor of the myth might think. What
associations the name might have outside the story, what symbolic
value Wolfe might give it, is another question.)

Regarding the evidence of dates: every bit of it can be answered.
Severian may be wrong about the date of the Conciliator. Cyriaca may
be wrong about the book - she's certainly wrong about some things. (I
was wrong, in any case, to say she says the book was several chiliads
old; she says no one has looked at it for a chiliad, though that
implies it's considerably earlier than that.) A lot of early autarchs
may have had short reigns, which allowed the mountains to be carved
quickly. (It's the number of autarchs, rather than the time it takes
to carve a mountain, which is the problem.) Thus, Wolfe was able to
make Typhon just a chiliad earlier without direct contradiction - its
not as if he had made Typhon say 'I was born five thousand eight
hundred and forty-three years ago'. But a lot of people get the feel
of a much earlier Typhon - all the bits of evidence seem naturally to
point to it.  and are confused when, in _Short Sun_, the gap seems to
be much shorter.

There are, I think, two relevant interviews - one from the time of
BOTNS which just makes Ymar a chiliad earlier; the other a later one
which makes Typhon a chiliad earlier. The second seems to contradict
the most natural reading of BOTNS, and suggests that Wolfe has
adjusted his timeline at some point. I suggest that part of that
adjustment was to make Typhon and Ymar contemporaries, when they
hadn't been before.

> Rajan has been jumping around alot.

Is that relevant, though? The gap the characters are trying to
determine is between Rigoglio's departure (Typhon's time) and his
return (Severian's time) - both on Urth. What the Rajan's home time
is, on Blue, is another issue.

---

From: Andrew Mason <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 19:57:03 +0000

Gerry Quinn wrote:

> That is a strange point about Scylla, certainly. ?In her Window she appears
> gods appear to us as they see themselves. ?I lean to the view that Tartaros

That Tartaros was an adult when he was scanned is suggested by one
thing; at Silk's second enlightenment one of his visions is 'a blind
god metamorphosised from a blind man [not boy], who remained a blind
man, and was struck'.

Is it obvious that everyone was scanned at the same time? Preesumably
it took some time to load the Whorl, both with humans and with
computerised beings. Pas was certainly scanned right at the end - so,
therefore, was Kypris, as she was with him at the time, and remembers
it. But others may have been scanned earlier.

---

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 00:39:02 +0000

> adjustment was to make Typhon and Ymar contemporaries, when they

And which wasn't at all needed. That's why I find it strange that GW would do violence to his chronology. I like Sergei's idea that Ymar may have been autarch centuries after he was born. Or Ymar the first autarch may not have been Ymar the Almost Just, why should the latter need such a qualifier?

> is, on Blue, is another issue.

I think so too, but JW liked the opportunity to defend his theory as fact.

---

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 00:41:23 +0000

> it. But others may have been scanned earlier.

It's the part where someone suggested a year of the whorl, in which all that plus typhon's downfall would have happened. 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20110527/e22c4213/attachment.htm>

---

From: Andrew Mason <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 15:23:08 +0000

> And which wasn't at all needed. That's why I find it strange that GW would do violence to his chronology.

Well, lots of people have thought, for reasons quite independent of
Ymar, that something has changed at some point between _New Sun_ (the
original quartet) and _Short Sun_ - and of course there was never a
detailed chronology; it may not be so much a matter of positively
changing as of making definite things that were previously indefinite.

>I like Sergei's idea that Ymar may have been autarch centuries after he was born. Or Ymar the first autarch may not have been Ymar the Almost Just, why should the latter need such a qualifier?

I think they are the same, because Severian says to Reechy/Ymar 'rule
justly, or at least as justly as ciicumstances permit'.

---

From: Andrew Mason <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 15:28:07 +0000

> It's the part where someone suggested a year of the whorl, in which all that plus typhon's downfall would have happened.

Can you remember where that comes?

One thing that puzzles me is where the landers travelling to the Whorl
left from. You might expect that they - at least the ones from the
'Commonwealth' area - would leave from the spaceport of Nessus. Yet we
know that by the last year of Typhon's reign that had been closed, and
turned into a Citadel.

---

From: António Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 09:10:37 +0000

Andrew Mason wrote:
>> It's the part where someone suggested a year of the whorl, in which
>> all that plus typhon's downfall would have happened.
>

I meant readers suggested it, not the books.

> One thing that puzzles me is where the landers travelling to the
> Whorl left from. You might expect that they - at least the ones from
> the 'Commonwealth' area - would leave from the spaceport of Nessus.
> Yet we know that by the last year of Typhon's reign that had been
> closed, and turned into a Citadel.

Then they left before that :) I suppose the Whorl took years to be peopled.

---

From: António Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 09:17:18 +0000

Andrew Mason wrote:
> Ymar, that something has changed at some point between _New Sun_
> (the original quartet) and _Short Sun_ - and of course there was
> never a detailed chronology; it may not be so much a matter of
> positively changing as of making definite things that were previously
> indefinite.

Well, if someone could come up with an integrated chronology for all of
Gerry Anderson's stuff, it stands to reason that it will be very
difficult to prove anything about the evolution of GW's conception of
the Sun universe. I don't find it strange that SS is different from LS
and both very different from NS, I'd just like to understand why, though
there may be no ultimate reason for it.

>> I like Sergei's idea that Ymar may have been autarch centuries
>> after he was born. Or Ymar the first autarch may not have been Ymar
>> the Almost Just, why should the latter need such a qualifier?
>
> I think they are the same, because Severian says to Reechy/Ymar
> 'rule justly, or at least as justly as ciicumstances permit'.

Good point, but then again Severian's not omniscient either.