Subject: (urth) Sard

From: Andrew Mason <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:45:13 +0000

A while ago I raised the question whether Sard, the pawnbroker in
_Long Sun_, was a chem. I've found positive evidence that he is; at
the beginning of _Calde_, 'Sard' is given as an example of a chem
name. So it seems chems can have their own businesses, though it's
unusual.

---

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 13:38:36 +0000

> name. So it seems chems can have their own businesses, though it's

Sard: "A clear or translucent, deep orange-red to brownish-red variety 
of chalcedony. Also called sardius. [Middle English sarde, from Old 
French, from Latin sarda...."

Also apparently another name for carnelian.

---

From: Andrew Mason <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 21:06:29 +0000

> Also apparently another name for carnelian.

That is indeed the principal meaning of 'sard'; but I think people
before now, wanting the pawnbroker Sard to be human, have interpreted
it as a fish.

---

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 22:18:27 +0000

> before now, wanting the pawnbroker Sard to be human, have interpreted

But that's Latin or Greek. Not allowed.