Subject: (urth) chenille

From: larry miller <biglar1984 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 02:31:39 +0000

Whats the deal with Chenille in Lake ch. 3/4?  Is she possessed by
Kypris during some of these scenes?

---

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 02:40:37 +0000

> Kypris during some of these scenes?

It'll be more fun for you if you work it out by yourself.

---

From: larry miller <biglar1984 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 11:50:59 +0000

Maybe I should have read the next chapter before I posted huh?

On 11/7/11, Ant?nio Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 12:07:09 +0000

I didn't mean to sound cross; just that there are things are best left to 
one's own reasoning once more data is available. In Wolfe's case, expecting 
the unexpected is probably the best way to go on about reading him.

larry miller wrote (08-11-2011 11:50):
> On 11/7/11, Ant?nio Pedro Marques<entonio at gmail.com>  wrote:

---

From: Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 12:55:40 +0000

From: Ant?nio Pedro Marques 

> the unexpected is probably the best way to go on about reading him.
It’s probably best for one’s own enjoyment to avoid reading too much about a book before one’s own first read.  Although it depends, perhaps, on whether one intends to read it more than once.  Arguably, the second read of Wolfe is better than the first, so a reader who will only read once might be better off spoiled!
- Gerry Quinn
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20111108/e5452168/attachment.htm>

---

From: larry miller <biglar1984 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 12:59:20 +0000

I didnt take it that way at all.  I just assumed you didnt want to
spoil anything for me.  That she was my first thought that she was
possessed by Kypris but couldnt remember if it was ever elaborated on
(this is the first time Ive read it in a decade) and wanted some
verification.  Got to admit though Im still confused as to when
Chenille is herself and when she is Kypris.

---

From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 13:25:51 +0000

>larry miller: Got to admit though Im still confused as to when

Iirc, there is also another Chenille possession to consider. But
in regard to Kypris, the identity confusion is surely intentional.
Chenille is a prostitute and in one interview, Wolfe makes a very stern
admonition to those who think Kypris/Aphrodtite/Venus was a love goddess. 
He states: "She was a sex goddess".