Subject: (urth) no subject

From: Larry Miller <decanus1284 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:43:05 +0000

If I remember right isnt there a point in Urth of New Sun where
Severian goes inside the planet of Yesod in something akin to an
elevator?  As ridiculous as it may sound is it possible that the
planet of Yesod could be the Whorl after its departure from the
Blue/Green system?

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at clueland.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 23:48:59 +0000

On 11/19/2011 8:43 AM, Larry Miller wrote:
> elevator?

An open platform that descends, yes.

> As ridiculous as it may sound is it possible that the

There is no particular thickness of natural rock visible inside the 
machine planet, only human-like figures and mobile machines tending 
stationary machines. Apheta claims it was created from Yesod's 
white-hole energy and matter for Yesodi settlement. There is also the 
statement and the appearance that the machine planet is Urth-size or 
larger, and massive enough to produce earth-like conditions on its 
exterior.

It might be barely possible that the Hierogrammates escaped from Briah 
in a previous iteration of the Whorl, and some of that materials was 
incorporated into the machine planet, but IIRC that occasion was untold 
billions of years in future time, when the universal expansion had 
separated galaxies from one another. The Whorl might still exist then as 
an asteroid, but it is unlikely the accomodations would be useful or 
reognizeable after that time.

-- 
Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
Computational Intelligence Laboratory - Texas A&M Texarkana
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >

---

From: Larry Miller <decanus1284 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 23:58:36 +0000

Thanks Jeff.  Just a random thought that occured to me this morning.
Ive been really concerned with exactly how Horn/Silk takes a part
("though not a leading part" as stated by Wolfe) in the Hieros plans
to transform the human race into the Yesodis.  Ive been racking my
brain for more connections between the books.  Do you have any
thoughts?

On 11/19/11, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at clueland.com> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 02:49:19 +0000

> brain for more connections between the books.  Do you have any

He is Typhon, I tell you!  THE Typhon!

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at clueland.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 07:06:41 +0000

> brain for more connections between the books.  Do you have any

I think it's the Yesodi's plans to mold the humans into the Hieros, who 
will ultimately unite with the Yesodis and with God. Everyone who can 
encourage others to spiritually grow toward that state of conciliation 
contributes in a meaningful way that can be built upon in future time 
and successive manvantaras. This includes doers of both good and evil 
acts, though a little evil goes a long way.

It's very much like the Teilhard De Chardin plan laid out in a spiral 
rather than a closed timeloop.