Subject: (urth) (no subject)

From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 18:08:55 +0000

>Gerry Quinn: It’s not magic — it’s bad science
 
>Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: It seems to me that what the sorcerers in the woods do is "real" magic.
>.."psi" is a fancy word for magic.

I think the text duplicates this discussion:
 
>The Cumaean looked up at Dorcas with eyes that seemed as bright as the stars. “Words are symbols. 
>Merryn chooses to delimit magic as that which does not exist” and so it does not exist. If you 
>choose to call what we are about to do here magic then magic lives while we do it.

>Gerry Quinn: In a few cases in insular Melanesia, indigenous flesh-markets existed. And of course 
>we know of cases when shipwrecked sailors or other groups of isolated survivors ate human flesh to 
>survive.
 
My statement about cultural prescribed cannibalism not being for the purpose of nutrition stands.
Famine and starvation cannibalism occurs despite cultural proscriptions against it. And Melanesia
includes the Papua-New Guinea tribes I gave as examples. Human flesh-markets there were selling 
courage not protein, just as Chinese rhino horn dealers are selling sexual potency, not keratin 
for nourishment.
 
fwiw- Starvation really wasn't a problem for tribal Melanisians. They had so many pigs they 
occasionally had to engage in ritual pig slaughter and engorgement, vomiting up one pork meal 
to make room for the next one.

---

From: Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 19:27:07 +0000

From: Lee Berman 

> Gerry Quinn:
> >  In a few cases in insular Melanesia, indigenous flesh-markets existed. And of course 
 
> courage not protein, just as Chinese rhino horn dealers are selling sexual potency, not keratin 

?The esteem attached to despoiling enemies and a real fondness for the unusual food seem to have been the motives. 
http://bits-n-pieces.hubpages.com/hub/cannibal

- Gerry Quinn
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20111221/bcf1ff74/attachment-0001.htm>