Subject: (urth) Evans-Wentz' Fairy Faith

From: Brian <brian at studiobl.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 14:55:41 +0000

I've been reading Evan Wentz' "The Fairy-Faith i Celtic Countries," and I'm
fairly convinced it's one of the sources Wolfe uses for his research.  I've
noticed many striking similarities, but have just been reading through
rather than stopping to take notes.

Has anyone else read this book, and do you agree with me as to it's being a
likely source for Wolfe?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20120118/dfb616f6/attachment.htm>

---

From: David Duffy <david.duffy at qimr.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 00:43:45 +0000

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Brian wrote:

> I've been reading Evan Wentz' "The Fairy-Faith i Celtic Countries," and 
> I'm fairly convinced it's one of the sources Wolfe uses for his 
> research.  I've noticed many striking similarities, but have just been 
> reading through rather than stopping to take notes.
>
> Has anyone else read this book, and do you agree with me as to it's 
> being a likely source for Wolfe?

I've looked through it, and agree it might be a source.  But Wolfe always 
mentions Andrew Lang's books as a childhood love.  Lang also edited _The 
Secret Commonwealth_,  and his intro to that covers similar ground to 
Evans-Wentz.  Another source might be Dunsany eg _Curse of the Wise 
Woman_.

Cheers, David Duffy.

---

From: Brian <brian at studiobl.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 14:28:01 +0000

Since I didn't take notes, I don't have a complete list, but a couple of
things stand out.  A female fairy who walked through nettles as if they
weren't there, and the idea that if one fairy in a group raises his hand,
they all do, as if they were actually all the same being.  How many darn
fairies are in that group, anyway?

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Brian wrote:    > I've been reading Evan Wentz' "The
Fairy-Faith i Celtic Countries," and   > I'm fairly convinced it's one of
the sources Wolfe uses for his   > research.  I've noticed many striking
similarities, but have just been   > reading through rather than stopping
to take notes.  >  > Has anyone else read this book, and do you agree with
me as to it's   > being a likely source for Wolfe?    I've looked through
it, and agree it might be a source.  But Wolfe always   mentions Andrew
Lang's books as a childhood love.  Lang also edited _The   Secret
Commonwealth_,  and his intro to that covers similar ground to
Evans-Wentz.  Another source might be Dunsany eg _Curse of the Wise
Woman_.      Cheers, David Duffy.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20120119/3c3868fe/attachment.htm>

---

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:41:10 +0000

On 1/18/2012 7:43 PM, David Duffy wrote:
>> I've been reading Evan Wentz' "The Fairy-Faith i Celtic Countries," 
>> and I'm fairly convinced it's one of the sources Wolfe uses for his 
>> research.  I've noticed many striking similarities, but have just 
>> been reading through rather than stopping to take notes.
>>
> I've looked through it, and agree it might be a source.  But Wolfe 
> always mentions Andrew Lang's books as a childhood love.  Lang also 
> edited _The Secret Commonwealth_,  and his intro to that covers 
> similar ground to Evans-Wentz.  Another source might be Dunsany eg 
> _Curse of the Wise Woman_.

The Kirk/Lang book is hard to find. But you can read it at 
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/sce/index.htm