Subject: (urth) Hypethral: Word of the Day, with Wolfe Quote

From: Andrew Bryant <ajustinbryant at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 08:05:41 +0000

I thought the list might be interested in knowing the the
dictionary.comword of the day is
*hypethral*, and a sentence from *Shadow and Claw* is used as an example of
usage (see below).
Andrew
http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2012/07/11.htmlWord of
the Day for *Wednesday, July 11, 2012*

hypethral \hi-PEE-thruhl\, *adjective*:

(Of a classical building) wholly or partly open to the sky.

Follow the gallery around for about a thousand paces until you come to the *
hypethral*. With it dark out you might miss it, so keep an eye open for the
plants.
-- Gene Wolfe, Shadow and Claw

The choice of top light for the main galleries is said to have been
dictated by the belief that Greek temples were*hypethral*, that is, open to
the sky; from which it was inferred that Greek taste demanded to see works
of art under light from above.
-- Benjamin Ives Gilman, Museum Ideals of Purpose and Method

*Hypethral* stems from the Greek roots *hyp-* which means "under" and *
a?thros* meaning "clear sky."
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20120711/fc7ffc6a/attachment.htm>