Subject: (urth) New Boss = Old Boss

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 20:38:00 +0000

alga,

Even more disturbing is the thought that Severian as the Sleeper has
taken the throne of Abaia as his own.  "Yesterday's Hero becomes
Tomorrow's Tyrant" deal.  Especially if one is looking at the Urth
Cycle as a narrowly defined Christian text, in a certain way--then it
=really= looks like the "Christ" has backed into the throne of the
"anti-Christ" or some lesser pagan idol!

Then again, it is perfectly in keeping with Severian's musings at the
end of TBOTNS where he wonders if he has been a puppet of the baddies
or a puppet of the goodies and resolves to resist puppeteering with
every fiber of his being, more or less.  So it remains unresolved in
the end.

(Wasn't there something somewhere about "If we can't stop the arrival
of the New Sun there's going to be a mass exodus [of us Other Lords
and our followers] into the corridors of time [and into the past
where we will be worshipped as gods of antiquity]"?  Another one of
those future-influencing-past tricks.)

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/