Subject: (urth) Urth Digest, Vol 98, Issue 9

From: Eric Bourland <eb at hwaet.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 13:15:44 +0000

John -- sounds like a good book. I'll find it and come back here with
thoughts. I've been lurking in this group for some months, but paying
attention to the intriguing discussions.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: urth-bounces at lists.urth.net [mailto:urth-bounces at lists.urth.net] On
Behalf Of urth-request at lists.urth.net
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 4:32 PM
To: urth at lists.urth.net
Subject: Urth Digest, Vol 98, Issue 9

Send Urth mailing list submissions to
	urth at lists.urth.net

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://lists.urth.net/listinfo.cgi/urth-urth.net
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	urth-request at lists.urth.net

You can reach the person managing the list at
	urth-owner at lists.urth.net

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
"Re: Contents of Urth digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1.  Robert Aickman, The Model (jbarach at aol.com)
   2. Re:  Robert Aickman, The Model (Ant?nio Pedro Marques)
   3. Re:  Robert Aickman, The Model (jbarach at aol.com)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 19:07:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: jbarach at aol.com
To: urth at lists.urth.net
Subject: (urth) Robert Aickman, The Model
Message-ID: <8CF761C48207CBD-F28-3501A at webmail-m058.sysops.aol.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

URTHlings --

Recently I read Robert Aickman's The Model, a book which is blurbed by
(among others) Robert Bloch, Fritz Leiber, and Gene Wolfe.  Wolfe says about
it:

"The late Robert Aickman was up to something, and quite consciously.  He did
not title his little book The Model for nothing.  What he has done (and knew
he had done) is discover a new wonderland.  I would bet that the number of
peple who have done that is less than one tenth the number who have
discovered actual islands, inhabited or treasure; we must now add Aickman to
that short list.  He has told us what I think none of us had realized before
-- that czarist Russia can be just as viable a wonderland as, say, Baghdad
under the Caliph.  And he has not merely told us; he has proved it by
leaving us a model."

Some aspects of the book reminded me strongly of Wolfe (e.g., Aickman often
implies things, rather than saying them outright, and you have to be paying
attention as you read to catch what's really going on or being said), and I
wondered about the possible influence of Aickman on Wolfe.  Certainly Wolfe
himself has written at least one story set in something like the wonderland
he says Aickman discovered ("The Death of Koschei the Deathless: A Story of
Old Russia"), and certain elements in "Queen of the Night" (the carriage
journey, for instance) remind me a bit of what happens in The Model (though
The Model is much less creepy and graphic).

Has anyone else read The Model?  Thoughts?

John
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20121011/ad6e7af0
/attachment.html>

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 03:51:50 +0100
From: Ant?nio Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
To: The Urth Mailing List <urth at lists.urth.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Robert Aickman, The Model
Message-ID: <DA55BF61-C640-4157-ABB6-83E98BBDC887 at gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain;	charset=us-ascii

Interesting, thank you for sharing. 
Aickman has been on my list of authors to explore, but I haven't yet found
anything by him that is in convenient form for me (no collected works, no
series, no omnibuses...).

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 01:02:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: jbarach at aol.com
To: urth at lists.urth.net
Subject: Re: (urth) Robert Aickman, The Model
Message-ID: <8CF764DFB8E6A87-1C9C-3446E at webmail-m126.sysops.aol.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

There is a two volume collection of his "strange stories," but it is rare
and expensive. Nor does it include The Model, which seems like a good
starting place.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: entonio at gmail.com
To: The Urth Mailing List <urth at lists.urth.net>
Sent: Thu, Oct 11, 2012 5:52 pm
Subject: Re: (urth) Robert Aickman, The Model

Interesting, thank you for sharing. 
Aickman has been on my list of authors to explore, but I haven't yet found
anything by him that is in convenient form for me (no collected works, no
series, no omnibuses...).

_______________________________________________
Urth Mailing List
To post, write urth at urth.net
Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20121012/b2d16b4f
/attachment-0001.htm>

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Urth Mailing List
To post, write urth at urth.net
Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

End of Urth Digest, Vol 98, Issue 9
***********************************