Subject: (urth) Madregot

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 17:25:04 +0000

"The term madregot comprises the various forms of super natural revelation,
vision, clairvoyance, telepathy, miracle, healing, release from the
physical, and the like.

"The relation to all these madregot (though they may also be the basis for
'miracles') is like that of the Talmud: an attitude of respect and
deference, together with a certain suspicion and disdain.

Thus, although madregot were considered valuable means, they were never
felt to be the end in themselves."

...

"The madregot are as marvelous as any other spiritual gifts, capable of
bringing much benefit and grace.

"But if they are not used correctly, they can become the very opposite."
--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20130503/4fca1f6d/attachment.htm>

---

From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 02:58:09 +0000

>Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: "The term madregot comprises the various forms of >super natural revelation,

>felt to be the end in themselves."

Thanks, Dan'l. Very informative. It would appear Wolfe chose well for the 
name Brook Madregot. It would appear to serve no purpose except as a conduit.
Tinkerbell Tzadkiel there is very helpful to Severian, but her lingering
laughter as Severian departs always makes me feel a bit suspicious.

>"But if they are not used correctly, they can become the very opposite."

Hm, yes. Severian's wanton abuse of Brook Madregot lands him in the time of
Apu Punchau, and a lifestyle quite lacking in grace and refinement.