Subject: (urth) Re: R=Robert/Roncevaux

From: Robert Borski <rborski at coredcs.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 16:03:06 +0000

To Peter Stephenson:

Your idea of R=Robert is interesting in a slightly different context. While
there are no Roberts listed as family members of GW, in VRT there are _two_
Robert Culots, and their relationship is the same as Roy Emersons I and II:
i.e., grandfather and grandson. The Proustian de Loup tie-in is lagniappe.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

To Tony Ellis:

I like your idea that little Victor may have thought his room and seat
number were as important as his name. It's also possible he was simply
playing dumb, as his father taught him to do (Marsh, in fact, initially
thinks him retarded).

R=Roncevaux (french for thorn) has not nearly the thematic resonance for me
as Roy. Also try saying the name Victor Roncevaux Trenchard fast 3X.

I'd also like to suggest something else, Tony. When I originally looked at
the numbers in Rm E2S14 Seat 18, I thought they might have signaled a date
of significance--2/14/(19)18--maybe a birth or a death or an anniversary,
but fruitlessly failed to find corroborative dates. Then just after I sent
my first VRT post, I wondered what would happen if I utilized the simplest
of all possible codes, where A=1, B=2, etc..
This would give us an N and R to work with, and if we ignore the lower case
m/e/a/t, we're left with R E 2 S N R. Could this possibly signify 2 Roy
Emersons, SoN/SeNioR? If not, it's a strange, if admittedly forced
coincidence.

To Tania Ruiz:

Your constellation info was very interesting. Any chance it reveals which
star the two planets Ste. Anne--Ste.Croix might orbit? mantis and I might
want to go there some day, maybe hunt a few alzabos.

Robert Borski

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/