Subject: (urth) Short Story 61*: Civis Laputus Sum

From: Tony Ellis <tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 22:06:02 +0000

Marc Aramini wrote:
>There is an odd statement Jeremy makes, saying his murder will be ?the
>first time in five thousand years one of us has taken the life of one of
>them.

3000BC is the rough date that is often given to the expression 'the
beginning of recorded history', so perhaps that was what he meant. But
*why* is that date given? Because it's roughly when writing appeared,
hence 'recorded' history. So I think Jeremy means that people like him
- the scribes, the scholars - have been the victims for as long as
their class has existed.

---

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 00:22:21 +0000

Seems right to me!  Thanks Tony.  Though Jeremy should strive for more
accuracy; history is written by the winners!!!

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Tony Ellis <tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20140430/1256f85b/attachment.htm>