Subject: (urth) some notes about that free live free write up

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 17:56:05 +0000

I just sent a rather lengthy write up on Free Live Free with a pretty
typical academic thesis .. the second to last major section lists the
important differences between the Ziesing and Tor editions, if someone were
inclined to skip to that section (though I hope you won't be so inclined,
obviously)  A foolish young poster once pondered what those differences
might be - I found this, circa 2001 in the archives:

>"As far as I remember from a Wolfe interview, I thought he identified
Madame
>Serpentina as pride (she is a haughty wench) and Stubb as Envy.  I think
Wolfe
>waffled a little on identifying Stubb (little man complex seems like envy
>mixed with pride to me).  (Is there a big difference in the Ziesing
version of
>the text?  I can't imagine editing a Wolfe work down by thousands of
words.
>Who knows what subtle details were destroyed?  Only Wolfe. Maybe not even
>him.)  I readily agree with your analysis of the Wizard of Oz parallels.
>Marc Aramini"

Given enough time, I have finally provided a pretty comprehensive look at
the differences for that past version of myself.  I don't feel that I would
call Serpentina a "haughty wench" anymore.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20140521/674c2c11/attachment.htm>